Transporting WSM?

Jeff Smith

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone found a good way to transport their WSM?
I am going to my family's lake house for the 4th and really want to take my WSM so I can smoke some stuff for the family.
I was thinking of trying to craft something that would protect and hold the smoker together if I put it on its side on a hitch haul. In the car is not even an option as I have newborn twins and thus have to pack everything under the sun (clearly I don't pack for them)

I was thinking maybe plywood top and bottom with holes for the feet/handle. I could join top and bottom with screws and 1x1.

Any thoughts from the great builders on here?

Congrats on the TWINS!

Not a great builder here, but here's what initially comes to mind: Take out everything from the WSM that will bounce around, and pack them separately. Then bungee the WSM sections together and wrap it all in a blanket, ratchet strap the whole shebang down...not too tight, you don't want to warp your smoker.

What is a "hitch haul" anyway" Is that one of those handy platform things?

Good luck and have fun.

thanks and yes the hitch haul is basically a shelf that goes into the hitch receiver.

I like your idea and will prob end up doing that since time is kind of limited these days. I would however like to make something at some point so that taking the smoker with me places is easier.

Jeff,

I carry two WSM's on my Hitch haul to contests upright. The hitch Haul is the 1-1/4 one.

Email me and I'll send you a picture since I can't figure out how to add one here.

MikeZ
zareckyatjlabdotorg

MikeZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Zarecky:
Jeff,

I carry two WSM's on my Hitch haul to contests upright. The hitch Haul is the 1-1/4 one.

MikeZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two questions: (1) Have you ever gotten any flak from the police for covering up your license plate? (2)How long have you had the WSM with the wooden handle on the lid? (I'd love to find a wooden handle to match the one on my old kettle).

And to discourage tailgaters, maybe you could put one of these on each WSM:

biohazard.png

Never been stopped because of the license plate.

I've had the older WSM for two years now. I found it behind a neighbors storage shed that I passed on my way home from work. Just made him an offer.

You can find replicas of the handles on ebay. Thay are pretty well made.

MikeZ

Mike aren't you afraid that the doors might fall off durning transport? I just look at mine and they fall off.

Transporting my WSM for the first time this July 4th as well. Luckily, I drive a truck with a covered bed. Shouldn't be too hard for me. Good luck on your trip.

When I transport my WSM to the lake, I take Steve's approach. I bungee the three sections together by going around the legs and through the handle. I usually leave the grates , charcoal bowl and even the charcoal chimney inside. then I put the cover over the bungeed WSM and lay it on it's side on the hitch hauler. Then a couple of ratchet straps hole the thing secure for the trip. I throw all my wood chunks, lighter, paper towels, spatulas, gloves, etc. in a rubbermaid tote box next to the WSM.

Back