Non reactive roasting pan that doesn't break the bank?

Laura D

TVWBB Fan
Hello Everyone -

It's me, Laura. I am going to do a very small 2 pound Pork Butt North Carolina Pulled Pork recipe (from Stephen Raichlen's BBQ Bible book).

It says at the end to put the shredded pork into a nonreactive roasting pan with this delicious sounding vinegar sauce, cover with aluminum and put back on the grill for up to 30 minutes. I have been looking online and whooooeeeee those pans are super pricey.

Anybody find one for super cheap or have an alternative?

This is my first pork butt, yeehaw!

Laura

Okay, when I google "Stainless Steel" instead of "Nonreactive" I get many more reasonable options pricewise. Still interested if anybody has found anything they like (or alternatives).

Laura

Laura,
Do you have a porcelain or enamel (usually blue or black) roasting pan?
These are cheap and nonreactive.

Those graniteware enamel roasting pans are inexpensive, non-reactive, and produce more yummy homecooked meals than any other roaster on the market I would wager.

Look for restaurant supply store, they have 1/4 hotel pans made stainless. They are durable enough. But you could always use disposable aluminum pans, I've reheated PP on the grill in them.

I went for a walk after posting this and happened onto a restaurant supply store - they had those stainless steel hotel pans, only $8. I can buy one and check it out - I plan only to use them for warming/keeping warm, not searing at 550, so I am guessing they will be fine.

Thanks again -

Laura

Stainless steel is great! Just when you put the words "nonreactive" in front of it it suddenly becomes super expensive (a $150 pan???) and people were offering more reasonably priced options. I look forward to picking up a stainless steel hotel pan for $8 at least for now and trying that out.

Laura

Never had an issue using the 13x9 disposables made of aluminum. Sam's or Costco, they are around 7.00 bucks for a pack of 30. Never entered my mind that they could be reactive in some way.

Originally posted by Corey Elks:
what is wrong with stainless steel??

Stainless is certainly adequate for a roasting pan. However, unless it is a clad design (expensive) it will not heat as evenly as aluminum or standard steel that the enameled pans use. This is not as important for roasting in the oven as it is on a cooktop.

I bought a couple of stainless steel hotel pans. I'm seasoning them in the oven right now and I'll try them out and let you know.

Happy 4th, everybody!

Laura

Back