Ranch Bean Recipe w/ Ham Hocks

Jane Cherry

TVWBB All-Star
I've searched this board, and many others, and am looking for a typical ranch bean recipe that includes ham hocks. This has been requested by a client, and will use their dried navy beans.

If anyone has a killer recipe, please share. I will do this in the pressure cooker.

Can you be a bit more specific? What do you mean by 'ranch' beans? Most ranch beans are pintos with tomatoes and onions and peppers, and with or without beef. Is that the style you're looking for?

I usually do navy beans with hog jowl instead of hocks (I like them better but hocks would work). I soak the beans overnight covered in cheap white wine. In a large pot I saute a chopped onion (for each pound of beans), one half a red bell pepper, diced, and a peeled rib of celery, minced, till soft. Then I add either part of or a whole hot pepper (jal, serrano, cherry), minced, one or two thyme sprigs, a good pinch of savory, and a clove or two of minced garlic. When these aromatics are just fragrant I dump in the beans and more than cover with water and add the hog jowl which I've scored deeply in several places. Bring to a boil, skim the foam, reduce the temp, simmer till done (which depends on the beans), adding more water as needed. Salt and white pepper to taste. Depending on what I'm serving them with I might also season with cumin or coriander.

The hog jowl will fall apart. You can leave it as is, or chop it up a bit and return it to the pot. With hocks you can slice the meat off the bone, remove the fat (if desired), mince or chop the meat and return it to the pot.

I don't do beans in pressure cookers (the skins so often clog the valve) but you could adapt this if you wish. I hope this helps somewhat, or let me know if you've got something else in mind.

Kevin: Thanks for your recipe. It sound just right, and I adapt things for my electronic 8 qt. pressure cooker. They have requested navy beans, which is what he likes and he's from Texas, whatever that has to do with it. BUT, although I have the method pretty much down for the pressure cooker, spicing is something that I was looking for. I will use one of my home grown habaneros, which aren't really that hot for about 8 servings. He likes to eat this with cornbread, which I'm also making. His wife is gluten free, so she's on a completely different regimen. I think I will throw in a couple of my Turkish bay leaves as well.

I've never seen hog jowls around here, so the hocks have to do. I love pork face meat, it's so tender and flavorful. It's basically Texas Style Ranch Beans he's looking for, I think, but he'll be happy one way or the other.

Jane-- I'm glad I was able to help.

Bay leaves would be a good addition and the habanero will work wonderfully. I, too, like beans (of any kind) with cornbread. With a bottle of Cholula and some chopped sweet onion on the side I'm pretty much set. And I like them with warm homemade corn tortillas too. Smeared with sweet butter and folded, they make a nice foil for the spiciness and flavor of the beans.

BTW, my clients loved this. I used some beef stock in the pressure cooker, and added some diced up Canadian Bacon. Wow! Twenty minutes from start to finish.

Jane,

In the future you might consider cooking the same recipe in a slow cooker / crock pot. IMO the slow cooking blends the flavors better than my pressure cooker. I use the presure cooker when pushed for time, but my preference is the crock pot.

I am currently in NC (it's 34 defrees here) and see that you are in Tucson, AZ. My wife and I are headed that way on Friday to spend 8 days in Sedona. We love it there. Do you have any favorite restaurants in Sedona area?

Thanks and good luck,

Ray

I haven't been to Sedona in many years, but I think I ate at L'Auberge last time? I really enjoyed it, and there are many nice places to eat there. I'm sure they've acquired many more by now. If you do a search on Food TV on "The Best Of", they were there highlighting some of the eateries. I assume you are flying into Phoenix and driving up?

You know, I have never used a crock pot for my clients, although they are used quite frequently by chefs. You can leave the entire dish for them to eat that evening, then they can put away the leftovers. These people ended up eating the beans for lunch while I was there cooking, and the gluten free cornbread I made them was also a hit. The batter was a little funky because of the soy flour I used, but I added another egg and it turned out fine.

Jane,

Thanks for the restaurant tips. I'll check them out. And yes, we are flying into Phoenix and spending the night there before driving up to Sedona where we have a 2 BR villa rented for the week. It has a full kitchen so we can cook in for some meals (and have good coffee available without going out!).

Your note mentioned "clients". Are you in the catering business? Sounds like a lot of fun. What's the largest group you have handled?

Thanks again and have a great day,

Ray

Ray-
Been a while but try the Javelina Cantina in Sedona: Sonoran Mexican, very good. If I'm not mistaken L'Auberge has a great Sunday brunch, too. I think jackets/ties were recommended at dinner there, but not required.

Ray: I am not a caterer but a personal chef. I cook in my client's homes and provide meal services depending on what they need. I specialize in food allergies, special diet needs, and you can check out my website in my profile.

Kevin,

Thanks for the restaurant recommendation We will certainly check it out.

And Jane - nice website! Looks like you have a job that is fun and that you enjoy! Way-to-go! I wish you much success!

Ray

Back