A Steal....Thanks to Chris !

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was wandering through my local mom-and-pop hardware store earlier this week. Of course, they had all their new grilling equipment on display, so I had to check things out. I saw a peculiar-looking grill, which I now know is the WSM.... I've been thinking of getting in to smoking, and I'd pretty much decided on a New Braunfels Black Diamond offset smoker. However, I just didn't have the energy to convince my wife that we needed another grill on the deck to go along with my trusty 20+ year old Weber kettle, my Weber Smokey Joe, and my cheapie Charbroil gasser <g>. The offset cooker was just too big....that's why the WSM was intriguing to me. We don't have kids or anything, so when I do Q, it's usually in small quantities. I've done some great turkey breasts, pork shoulders, and ribs, using my kettle, but I wanted to move up to the next level.

Anyway, I went home and found Chris's great web site, and, based on the rave reviews and the excellent help you guys provide, became convinced that I wanted the WSM.. I read up on the "tour" and the "tuning" section, and decided I gotta do it....when I went back to the store to buy it, they said, "Geez, this floor display is the only one we have...". Thanks to Chris, I was able to figure out everything was there, right down to the fiber washers in the middle section....the only thing they'd done wrong in assembling it was to put the access door on upside-down, and I see that even THAT might not be a major issue <g> ! Anyway, I got the WSM, complete with manual and all parts, for $139 ! A little dusty, but hey...I can wipe that off ! The unit has the old wood handle instead of the plastic resin one, so it's probably been sitting in the back, collecting dust. That's okay...I still think I got a great deal !

I look forward to firing it up for the first time this weekend...I have a hankering for some ribs....but all the "Do's and Don'ts" I'm reading here makes it a bit intimidating. Hey, I got my Taylor candy thermometer, my Pep Boys oil drip pan, my Kingsford charcoal, my Weber chimney, and Chris's web page, so I'm good to go...I just hope I don't join the "Water Pan Dropped On The Coals" Club <g> ! Wish me luck, and "Thanks, Chris, for a great web site"...

Dean...

Congratulations on your find and welcome to the neighborhood. I'm your neighbor 20 miles to the south in Baltimore. This is a great instructional site and the experience of the folks on the discussion board shave months off the learning curve. I'm doing ribs this weekend myself...1st time on the WSM.

Hey Dean:

Your Bullet may not be as old as you think. We just switched to the synthetic handle in the last couple of years. But either way, as long as you don't see any nasty chips in the coating - there ain't much difference one year to the next. If you want, I can tell you the year of manufacture. Just forward me your date code. It's a one or two letter code on the lid damper.

Ribs this weekend - great, but if you really want to find shear Heaven in the Bullet you gotta Cook some Butt!!!

Weber Dave

Hey, Jonathan and Dave !

Thanks for your comments...Jonathan, any idea where around here you can get "chunk-sized" smoking woods ? All I've ever seen is chips...

Weber Dave : I have "EE" stamped on the top vent baffle. Must mean something to you <g> ?? One other question...I noticed 3 areas around the bottom lip of the lid where it looks dull black and bumpy. If I didn't know better, I'd say it looks like rusting underneath the coating. If I scrape it, the shiny black comes off, but it looks like black metal underneath, not rust or anything. Is this anything I should worry about ?

Looks like I won't get to the ribs this weekend after all...OBE (Overcome By Events <g> !) I definately want to do a butt soon !

Dean...

Hey Dean:

The "EE" tells me that your WSM was made in 1999. Also, that bumpy surface shouldn't be a problem, but if it shows any signs of rusting - let us know and we'll replace it.

Hope you can get to the ribs soon. I'm going to do 4 racks on the top grate, and a turkey on the lower grate this next weekend. Mmmm, pork basted turkey!

Take care,

Weber Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Estrem (edited 04-23-2001).]

Dave,

Can there be more than one two-letter date code for a single year. In other words, is EE the only code for 1999?

Also, is there any key that people can use to dicipher their own code, or do you have to enter it in your computer to find out the date? Perhaps a cheat sheet we could post for 1984 to present?

Regards,
Chris

Dean,

If you're having trouble finding smokewood, there are a few good vendors on the 'net that you may want to try. Ma's Smokin' Chips (Steve is a frequent contributor to this site), Peoples Woods, Firewood Guy, and a few others that escape me at the moment.

One thing I found quite by accident - look in your local paper for firewood for sale. If someone offers hardwood, there's a very good chance you'll be able to pick up a few logs of oak, cherry, apple, or maple for next to nothing. I found a guy local to me that brought over some seasoned oak and cherry, seperate from the load he was delivering, when he delivered two cords of firewood that I ordered. Now, I've got enough smokewod to last probably two years and it didn't cost me anything - except two cords of firewood.

In short, look around in the paper and see if there's any firewood dealers near you. I can't see a big suburb like Bel Air not having any...

Alan Bosch

Weber Dave : Thanks for the info ! I knew my WSM was < 2000, based on Chris's info, but it's interesting to know it's not much < 2000 <g>.....Thanks !

Pork-basted turkey....hmmmmm....that makes my mouth water just thinking about it !! Which one do you eat first ?

Alan : Great tip ! I wouldn't have thought of that angle, but I'm sure you're on to something. We buy mulch from a local guy who does firewood, too....I'll have to check him out. How does a guy in Rochester know so much about Bel Air ??!!

Dean...

Dean,
About ten years ago, I was offered a position with GE at their Columbia, MD, service facility. I kinda knew the area - attended Gettysburg College for a year, and we often took road-trips to see friends at John Hopkins, U of M in College Park, and Towson State. My SO, at the time, and I went down for three days, looking at different areas, houses, etc. Truthfully, we both hated it (not to mention we couln't afford it!). Made Long Island look like a state park. But too each his own...

Alan Bosch

I've been using wood that I've got from friends who have removed wood from their proporties. We live in a BBQ challenged area so this is what I would suggest. Home Depot used to carry small bags of chunk, I think BBQ Galore carries chunk (The Avenue at WhiteMarsh),and maybe Watson's Garden Center in Lutherville. I'm also going to ask some local joints where they get their wood. Beefalo Bobs (he uses mesquite logs) and The Canopy (they use mesquite logs. I'm going to call these places to see if they will give me the info on their dealers. You mights want to give it a try as well.
Andy Nelson?s Southern Pit Barbecue
11007 York Rd., 410-527-1226
Dotson?s BBQ
7317 Furnace Branch Road, 410-768-2784
Red Hot & Blue
200 Old Mill Bottom Road, Annapolis, 410-626-7427
Famous Dave?s
181 Jennifer Road, Annapolis, 410-224-2207; 6201 Columbia Crossing Circle, Columbia, 410-290-0091

North Carolina Barbecue Corral
6212 Reisterstown Road, 410-585-1077

Smokers Catering & Carryout
15513 Hanover Pike, Upperco,
410-239-8262

Let me know what you find.

Almost forgot....If you are interested the National Capital Barbecue Battle -
Pennsylvania Avenue,Washington DC, June 23th and 24th, 2001 should provide a wealth of info.

Alan : I know what you mean <g> ! I was born in Chicago (see Dave, Q is in my genes <g> ) , but grew up in Florida. I was offered a job with the Feds up here, and I said "Well, I've never been to Maryland, so I better go there and check it out before I accept." My first reaction was "Yuk !!"...but the money was better than I was making in FL, so I took it, with the assumption that I'd transfer to somewhere "decent" after a few years here...I married my SO from FL, she got a teaching job here, and we've been here since '86 and we love it !! Go figure....

A Q story (to get this thread back on track ): I transfered to a different agency here after a few years...I had never found a place that sold decent Q...my new boss was from Alabama (an Auburn grad). I asked him "Where can I get some decent Q in Maryland ?" His answer ? "My backyard !" I guess he was as frustrated with the sickly sweet MD Q as I was <g> !

Jonathan : I was in Walmart tonight, and they have "chunks", but the choice is either hickory or mesquite...no oak or anything more exotic ! I'll scope out the BBQ Galore in White Marsh, although they are expensive, and the Watson's (same comment)...

I was lucky enough to visit Chicago with my wife a while ago, and by chance we went to Famous Dave's. We really enjoyed it compared to what you normally get in MD... I was happy to see they were now in Columbia, but we haven't been there yet. I also discovered the Red Hot and Blue in Annapolis...not bad !!

Your DC comment also brought back memories...I worked briefly in DC...a woman I worked with was from North Carolina...we got to lamenting the sorry state of BBQ in this part of the world...we tried several places together for lunch...the only semi-decent one was called "Hogs on the Hill" <g> ! When she went home to NC, she would bring back decent Q and we'd share it at lunch <g> !!

Dean...

Hi Dean!!

The easiest source of wood for me are the branches on my Oak, Hickory and Apple trees! I trim every year and use them thoughout the year. Just be sure you are using good hardwood.

If you don't have any, check with the neighbors....just be catious with the fruitwoods...the owners may have sprayed....not a problem, but some folks are a little leary of that kind of stuff!

Stogie

Dean,
I was in the Home Depot this morning and noticed they have a limited selection of chunk smokewood. One pallet each of Hickory and Mesquite and they are marketed under the New Braunfels name.

Jonathan,

Thanks for the "head's up" ! I try to stay away from Home Depot on weekends, but maybe I'll have to run over there tomorrow....wish they had oak, though. I still have a huge bag of hickory chips I'd like to use up
smile.gif

Dean...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back