Papain in Chicken Marinade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan Rice

TVWBB Super Fan
Recently someone who has done really well in Chicken in several comps told me that he uses papain powder in his chicken marinade, but that is all he told me. I am aware of what papain is and that there are many meat tenderizers whose main ingredient is papain. I am also aware that a lot of people take papain as a dietary supplement.

Most of those tenderizers that I have seen also contain MSG. The only other thing he told me is that if you use too much, it will liquify your chicken. I think his marinade was basically italian dressing with papain.

I have never used it, but I have been using pineapple juice in my marinade which contains bromelain (I think).

Does anyone here currently use papain (either alone or in a tenderizer mix)? How much do you use? Does it affect flavor? If it does in what way?

Thanks. Very curious.

Unless the pineapple juice is from fresh or frozen pineapple (i.e. not canned), the bromelain will be rendered inactive by the canning process. Adolph's makes an unseasoned, sodium-free, no-MSG version that, like all other Adolph's, contains papain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back