Old weber

M

MikeD

One of my friends has weber he said was 20-25 yrs old.

It has a glass front on the top and nice redwood shelves and bottom tray-never seen one like that.

Still looks good too.

Weber seems to indicate that their first gas grill was made in 1985. I had a Genesis 2 in 1991 and it had redwood-stained wooden work surfaces on each side and a similar storage shelf below the firebox. However, I can't find an example with a glass window.

Regards,
Chris

Mine was a Genesis 2 also and configured as Chris mentions. I bought mine in May of 1988 and still have the 3-ring looseleaf recipe book that came with it. I replaced the grill 2 years ago after 16 well-used years. Not bad, eh?

Rita

It's a Genesis 5000. You could confirm this by lookin at the serial number. If it starts with a "KL5" or "KN5" it is a Gen 5000 from 1993 (the first year they had glass doors) or a S/N starting with EH, EO, ER, EI, EZ, or EE. If it is a two letter code, I would need the complete S/N to confirm the model. Production for this grill started in 1993 and ended in 1999 though some of the later modles had stainless steel doors acording to the info we have. I hope this info helps.

I just bought a used Genesis, and using the diagrams on weber.com I'm pretty sure it's a Genesis 3 propane grill. (Wide cart, swing-up table on the left side, side burner.) The owner's manual/cookbook that the seller gave me had a 1990 copyright date but does not identify any specific models. The seller thought it was about 15 years old.

When I called Weber with a couple of questions about parts, they told me about the s/n plate under the control panel - it has a s/n starting with "N1" and is labeled as a NG grill. Weber said the s/n was definitely for a Genesis 1 NG model.

I have to assume that this grill does not have its original control panel, for unknown reasons. Can the serial number be found anywhere else on the grill?

I had what I believed to be one of the first Weber gas grills in the mid eighties. It was shaped like a kettle. It used lava rock under the cooking grate. It sat on what looked like a short lamp post on a triangular cart, with the propane tank mounted to the cart. Most sizes looked about regular kettle proportions. The gas controls were mounted on the post. It was OK for the era, but my wife had some problems with lighting it and getting a big whoosh of flame just a little too close for comfort. It went to the curb, to whoosh flame at someone else. We replaced it with a Genesis gold with the sideburner a few years back. It is about 1000% better to use in all respects.

Also bumping this old thread since Joe Osborn has returned... Joe, if you can answer the question I asked in September I would be grateful.

I ask the same questions to find out what grill you have without an SN.
How many burners?
How many flav bars, 13 or 5?
Wood or Durawood?
Is there a "FlameCheck" button on the control pannel?
What type of propane connection at the manifold, angle or straight?
Sideburner, open or closed bottom?
Is the bottom storage tray wire, or wood?
We can usally tell by asking these questions.

BTW, the Serial Number should be on the front cover of the owners guide. If it's an N1 it should come up as a Gen 1 NG. However!!! We did and still do offer an LP conversion for this grill and that would have included a new control pannel as the sweep on the manifold valves may be different. This MAY explain the control pannel, but I don't think that's the case. I could identify it by photo if you could post one??? Let me know.

3 burners, 13 bars, wood shelves, no flame check, bottom tray is wood. I've replaced the manifold connection when I bought a new regulator as I mentioned on another thread, and I think the sideburner has a closed bottom. The only owner's manual I was given is a small plastic 3-ring binder (on the cover: "Weber Genesis Gas Barbecue Cookbook"), no s/n on it, copyright date 1990. The first 20 pages or so are owner's manual type stuff, and there is a picture of a fully tricked-out Genesis 5, with an explanation of what parts come with which grills. Based on that, I'm sure I have a Genesis 3.

I belive it is a gen 3. It could be a gen 2 because the gen 2 had a side burner you could buy as an option for $130.00. Most people just bought the gen 3 because it was only $50.00 more than the gen 2. And the fact it has a closed bottom side burner is a dead give away on the gen 3. Though there again, some gen 2's had the closed bottom side burners as options as well.

The book you have sounds like an old cook book sent with the grills with some photo copied pages from an owners manual.

If you wanted to play it safe and replace the manifold, they are $66.40 ($7.00 s/h) and come with a new QCC1 hose and regulator. The control pannel does not need to be changed with this manifold.

Have a good one

Melman,
Send me an email with your contact info (name address, and phone number) and I will get a new owners guide out to you.

Back