Thermometer recommendation

J. Todd

I'm looking for a probe type thermometer that basically just let's me know the temperature. Want to use it for internal meat temps, as well as grill temps, so I guess the range would have to be 100ºF - 400ºF or so. Tried a Taylor 'Weekend Warrior' I saw at Lowe's, but it was kinda confusing to work, and wouldn't go over ~ 200ºF. More of a meat thermometer / timer combination. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

i've been using this one for 2 years with little to no complaints. the signal distance is kind of iffy, but i always keep it in a room that's close to the cooker. the alarm will alert me when needed. this link is TVWBB friendly if you decide to order from amazon
icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Industries-Remote-Smoker...id=1227738110&sr=8-1

Or you could consider investing in a temprature control system that serves both the function of a thermomether and temprature control (guru/stoker) I really love my guru and there are plenty of advocates for the stoker as well.

How much do you want to spend?

At the high end you can get a GURU/Stoker for around $250

At the low end a $15 probe thermometer can measure temperature in your meat. Stick it down one of the vents and you will know your BBQ temperature.

The next level up is wire connected to the measuring probe so you do not have to open the WSM and then after that is one with a wireless connection. With wireless, you can tell the temperature of your meat/WSM in front of your television.

Two popular wireless are the Nu-temp and Maverick. Get two of them and you can measure both (meat/WSM) at the same time.

For instant temperature read out you can get a Thermapen.

Some details on some of the above mentioned are here.

Maybe get an inexpensive one with a wired probe. After it breaks, you'll have experience it terms of what you might want next.

I keep thinking about getting one of these, but with my cheapy wired probe I already have, plus the Tel-Tru in the lid and my Thermapen at my side, I don't think its going to improve the quality of my life any.
icon_smile.gif

Pretty much what Tom says, although I have an ET73 and use it consistently (as well as a Tel Tru through the vent hole. The wireless remotes are great for moving about and doing other things as you are getting ready for the event, you don't have to be chained to the smoker (although often that's a good thing). You can also set alarms for pit and food temps.

Other than that I do have a Guru - and have to say it's great especially for long or overnight cooks. It's awesome, I use it often - but definitely not required to be successful. You can actually leave the house and run errands during long cooks without a worry about adjusting vents. Go to bed during those long butt/brisket cooks, etc.

Found a Taylor at Target that seems like it will do the trick. Looked at the ET73 and almost got it, but the shipping was 1/4 price of the unit! May get one later, but the Taylor should work for now.

I got a box full of polder units and extra probes collecting dust. I went nuts when they came out with their "dual probe" unit but all the probes ended up malfunctioning (even the replacements).

I've had good luck with maverick, though I did burn out a couple of their probes too (user error, not mav's fault, be careful when using probes with high heat sears).

anybody use thermocouples? I missed an opportunity in grad school, my p.i. did a ton of stuff with them, I didn't, so I never figured out what I needed to make and use them (ah, the arrogance of youth, and how it always come back to haunt you).

I'm kind of done playing with toys, these replacement probes for my mavs are costing me enough that I'm thinking I need to start investing in some real equipment that I can configure for multiple uses.

I've seen units like this: extech referenced in discussions about sous vide cooking, but I haven't started looking for a source nor what to do with it.

Back