Bacon, cold versus hot smoking

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
I needed to make some more bacon, as there was nothing left in the freezer, and I wanted to compare the traditional Norwegian bacon, cold smoked, with the hot smoked variety.
I promised j.blesinger to try this out, so here it goes, some pictures, but I see I could have taken more.
First of all, the dry brine in a plastic bag, 2,5% regular salt, plus some ground pepper, two teaspoons of nitrate salt, two teaspoons of brown sugar, and two teaspoons of maple sugar. Cured for four days,.
Here’s the belly, cured and rinsed in cold water.
113766_s.jpg

113767_s.jpg

In the second picture you can see two pieces of belly, I cold smoked one of them for 10 hours.
It was not very easy to do this, as it was -15 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I used a small electric oven inside my WSM as well as my home-made smoke generator, aka smokedaddy. I filled it with apple chips three times during the day. No pictures, I had more than enough keeping my fingers warm without fiddling with a camera. Thanks to the heater, the temperature in the WSM was a few degrees over freezing point during smoking.
The other belly was smoked the day after, 180 degrees, and pulled at an internal temperature on 150 degrees Fahrenheit. I used half a chimney of briquettes, as well as five chunks of apple wood to get real smoke flavor during the cook. It took around two hours.
Now, to compare:
113771_s.jpg

Large pics: http://sportsfiske.nu/foto/arkiv/45973/113771.jpg
The cold smoked bacon to the left, the hot smoked to the right. Just look at de difference, both in size and looks.

This is two different products. As I’m more used the bacon on the left side, I found the hot smoked bacon interesting, but if you are more used to that variety, I’d advise you to try the cold smoked one.

Regarding taste- they are very different, but both are much more tasty with a more developed smoke flavour than store- bought bacon. You'd better come over and try both!
icon_smile.gif

When I tried cold smoking a batch of bacon I got very little colour out of the meat. It stayed a grey colour and didn't develop the look of the "bark" you achieved on yours.

Thanks Geir!

couple of questions:

1) did the cold smoked bacon reach the same final internal temp as the hot smoked? I typically finish my cold smoked in the oven to get it to 140*F.

2) did the two pieces start out the same thickness?

3) how did the flavor of the smoke compare? I find the cold smoke lacks the charcoal flavor and has a sweeter, more aromatic, wood flavor.

1: No, I did not heat the cold smoked bacon at all. It's raw meat, just as the bacon we can buy in shops here in Norway. Our pork is safe, so there is no need to heat the meat. We fry it in a pan before eating.
2: Yes, you can see the two pieces in picture number two. I'ts the same belly, cut into two halves, cured the same way before I split the belly.
3: Yes, I agree with you. The cold smoked bacon has a more subtle smoke flavour, and the aroma of the pork belly is more prominent. There is no "burnt" taste, just a smoke taste that develops during the time you have the meat in you mouth. The hot smoked bacon is very nice as well, but the smoke taste is more like "one taste", and does not change that much. The hot smoked bacon is a tad more salty then the cold smoked one.

Next time, I will smoke the cold smoked bacon for 20 hours to get a stronger smoke taste.
It is Ok to smoke the meat for ten hours, store it in the frigde, and smoke ten more hours the day after.
I just bought a book on cold smoking, and some recipes tells you to smoke the meat for ten days. That's not something that I can do with the equipment I have at the moment. Then I would have to build a real smokehouse with a tunnel and a smoke chamber 15- 20 feet away.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Regarding taste- they are very different, but both are much more tasty with a more developed smoke flavour than store- bought bacon. You'd better come over and try both! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ROAD/PLANE/ROAD TRIP!
icon_biggrin.gif
Your just lucky your not closer. A bunch of us would be knowing on your door right now. Great post Geir, thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by k walsh:
When I tried cold smoking a batch of bacon I got very little colour out of the meat. It stayed a grey colour and didn't develop the look of the "bark" you achieved on yours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I left the bellies to dry over night before smoking.

I have used two teaspoons of nitirite salt in addition to th 2,5% of regular salt. Did you use nitirite salt?

yes I used the nitrite salt. It was the outside of the slab that stayed very grey. Mine was very smokey tasting.

Back