K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
3 ripe avocados
one lime, halved
salt
1 jalapeño or 2 small serranos, stemmed, seeded and finely minced
about 1/2 of a small onion, very finely chopped

1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
1 small ripe tomato, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
2-3 t minced cilantro (optional)

I do not always use the cilantro (some people don't care for it) but I always use the other optional ingredients. For best results, try to make the guacamole as close to the time you'll be serving it as possible. If you have to make it in advance put it in a small container, cover with a spray or film of evoo, then cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap directly onto the guacamole and stick in the fridge.

Halve the avocados and remove the seeds. Scoop the flesh into a bowl, sprinkle with a little salt and a squeeze of lime, and mash using the back of a spoon. (I like it fairly coarsely mashed; if you'd like it smoother mash with a fork.) Add a bit of each of the other ingredients you are using, mix, add more, mix more. Adjust salt and lime; serve.

mmm, sounds good .. I haven't tried lime but I will now

this seems like a barebones guacamole recipe .... the essence of the thing ... I have seen several recipes that add many more ingrediants but I think less is more in this case, can't wait to try it out

having said that, one addition I would recommend is some toasted chopped slivered almonds ... 1-2 Tbsp

Mmmmm. . . double good. Just made a batch using a Florida avocado, not the small Haas variety from California. A dash of homemade chipotle powder is an option to consider.

Richard

Kevin,

You just published my highly secret recipe!!!!!!!! ok not so secret, but very good. The local grocery store had their recipe next to the avacados one summer. We've used it several times. I've gone back and forth between lime and lemon. I like both! The only diffance was the store recipe recommended 2 japlepenos.

Josh

Kevin,
You dog, you stole my recipe too!!!!!! I find that making the Guac a few hours before serving then re-mixing it before serving is a real help. Letting it sit for a while lets the flavors blend. I think the secret is the lime and garlic and maybe a shot of hot sauce if you want.

I tried this out recently instead of my usual recipe and everyone really enjoyed it. I used the optional ingrediants (no toasted almonds like I usually use) but a pinch of chipotle powder instead of fresh hot pepper because I just didn't find any that day I was happy with.

It turned out kinda like I suspected, I could really taste the advocado and it was quite nice. I'll probably alternate between two variations of this in the future .... a fine advocado mash with toasted almonds and a coarse advocado mash with no almonds.

This one from last night:

4 Haas avos, the juice of 1 lime, 1 medium clove garlic, pressed, 2 T or so of finely chopped Vidalia, 1 whole jarred roasted ripe jalapeño, finely chopped, salt, and black and white ground pepper. (I had no fresh peppers available. The jarred roasted ripe jal worked quite well.)

This is exactly the kind of recipe I have been looking for, should have known I'd find it here. Thanks for sharing, Kevin, I'll be making some tonight with some homemade salsa, margaritas, and a couple fat ribeyes.

Steve

Oh my! We tried this on Saturday and it was a major hit. We did it just like Kevin wrote (except we skipped the cilantro). I thought it would be real hot from the peppers, but it was still pretty mild. We used it as a spread on challah and as a topping on brisket slices. It was SO GOOD! Thanks for sharing!

Also, the tomato really adds to the flavor. The second time I made it I forgot the tomato and it did not taste as good.

"Almost" nothing better in the world than fresh homemade chunky Guacamole (I can't stand the puree'd stuff).
Haven't tried it yet, but one of the FoodNetwork peeps adds a bit of chopped chipotle's in adobo.

My wife makes a spicy Guacamole with jalapenos from our garden but her silver bullet is adding goat cheese to the mix. I swear when she makes this stuff people just stand over the bowl until it's gone.

Instead of jalapenos or seranos, I add some roasted Hatch Chilis (the hot variety). Gives it a nice zing.
icon_smile.gif

Back