Question re amount of briqets?

Mick N

TVWBB Member
This is a loaded question as I have an idea to test in regards to long slow WSM fuel burning.
Question; Will 30-40 heat beads be enough to bring the temp up to 225-250F in a mild climate? abet for only a short while I understand.

Regards

whats a bead?? do you mean briquette as in kingsofrd style charcoal or lump as in hardwood lump style chunks??

either one of those thats like half a chimney of fuel i dont even use that little to get my kettle going.

Yeh, The "Heat Beads" are our best charcoal we get here.
The reason I ask is that I had a idea for a variation for placing coals for a long cook.
Picture this;
A standard soup can placed in the centre of the pit, To this can a flap of tin is riveted on and extends out to the edge of the ring.
Add your non started coals around the ring and leave enough room against the partition from the soup can for 40 fired up coals.
This way the coals will burn "around the clock"
Any sense to this?

I see what you're proposing, and it could work. But I suspect that if you have burning coals against one side of your tin partition, and unlit coals touching the other side, enough heat could be conducted through the metal to start the unlit coals on the other side. So, you'd have your fire burning from both ends at once. If you leave some space between the partition and the unlit coals, then the fire may burn the way you have planned. It would be interesting to see how this works; if you do it, let us know the results.

Thanks Larry, I can understand that possibility.
If I put two sheets of tin out with a 1/4 " buffer, I'm sure that would not back burn.
Test last night, 40 coals took the WSM to 210F
Thats enough to start.
I'm going to make this idea and test it.

They look like a little pillow, Don't know the wood base used.
They are only of a few brands that dont smell like burning garbage
Another good (but hot) one we get here is coconut shell based, Its extruded and looks like Bender sh!*, But good stuff
icon_wink.gif

They are great with seafood. When I was in South East Asia,They used coconut shells to grill with.
The taste of lobster halves grilled over them was superb.

Back