Ribs and chicken in cooking fast at low temp???

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I used my WSM for the 4th time today. Started the coals a 'la Minion, added hickory, water, 2 racks of spares and 4 chicken quarters. Using a Polder electronic the temp in the middle of the smoker never rose above 210F. After 3.5 hours the rib temp was 180 and the chicken 185 F. The meat on the ribs is pulling off the bone and I don't want them to overcook.

How did they cook so fast at such a low temp? The outside temp is very high today - upper 90's, but that shouldn't effect the cooking time. Last time I made ribs they took 6 hours.

Help!!

Weird...I assume you're cooking the same size and type of rib today that you did the time it took 6 hours? Also approximately the same quantity of meat in the cooker?

That seems like an awfully large difference. There is variability from slab to slab, but usually less than an hour I'd say. Time can also be dependent on whether the meat is stone-cold or at room temp when it goes into the cooker, as well as the volume of meat being cooked. Obviously, two slabs will cook faster than eight, given the same cooking conditions.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Regards,
Chris

Richard, by any chance did you not fill the water pan or even place it in the cooker? Other than that, I don't have a clue.

Take care and enjoy your BBQ!

I agree with Bruce the only different would be the water pan. Can't think of anything else that could make that much different.JOE

Well, the bottom line is the ribs were every bit as good as before!

Richard
Recheck the Polder at 212* and see where it reads. The temp had to be higher than the Polder was reading. Was the probe ever touching the meat?
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back