Do you have to peel sweet potatoes?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I love the skin of baking potatoes and often don't peel all of the Yukon Golds that I use for mashed potatoes.

Should you peel well-scrubbed sweet potatoes?

Rita

Rita,

From what I've seen - it depends on what you want to do with them:

I know that yams and sweet potatoes are different, but I do not use yams much.

As I grow older - I find that I like sweet potatoes, as long as they're not sickeningly-sweet (I like their natural sweetness).

I love sweet potatoes simply baked, with the skin intact.

However, if you're going to dice or slice them, or maybe make fries - then, I always peel them, to get rid of the milkier outer-skin and get down to the orange / pink flesh. I think this is mainly for appearances, but I've heard that the outer layer is a bit bitter, and I've seen that it cooks differently and sometimes discolors.

The skin on yams tends to be thicker with more irregularities, and more tendency to hold soil and other undesirable stuff - I would suspect that these should nearly always be peeled.

Probably not the full answer, but I hope this helps.

Because of the long mis-use of the word 'yam' in the US, in the vast majority of markets yam and sweet potato are the same. There are many varieties of sweet potatoes - non of which are actually yams, despite the variety in color, size, shape, etc. 'Canned yams' are not - they're sweet potatoes.

Actual yams are not often seen in typical markets regardless of the labeling of the produce department. When one sees them it's likely to be in an Asian market, or a market serving the Cuban, Caribbean or Central/South American diaspora. In that case they are usually labeled ñame.

Yams are not sweet. (I make fritters out of them.)

Anyway, Ron's right. Sweet potato skin tends to be tougher. It doesn't mash well (like the skin of waxy or gold potatoes) and, depending on variety, doesn't necessarily bake up light and crisp (like russets). Nor does it become pleasantly tender in moist baked dishes like gratins and casseroles and so peeling first is required.

I'm utterly with you, Ron, on sweet potatoes being sweet enough already. I cannot abide the cloying gloppy mess of sweet potatoes with sugar, syrup and marshmallow. I prefer counterpoint to the sweet: baked and served woth lime and butter, or plain yogurt, crème fraîche or sour cream; oven 'fried' and sprinkled with salt and chipotle; in a gratin, with cheddar and sour cream; or as a soup, with sour cream and minced jalapeño.

I knew that true yams were generally not available here in the States, but "yay-ums" seem to be quite popular here in the South. I've never been a fan of sweet potatoes because of all of the sweet additives, but recently I've begun enjoying them simply prepared, no sugar, and especially no marshmallows.

Ron and Kevin, thank you for the very helpful information! I'm looking to add a little interest and the lime addition mentally "tastes" good to me for my next sweet potato cook.

Rita

P.S. ONE MORE QUESTION:

I rarely make French fries, but when I do, I use the cold-oil method with Yukon golds and find the fries very tasty and less greasy. Can sweet potato fries be cooked the same way?

Rita

Hmm. I don't know. I am not a fan of the cold oil method. You'll need to try it and see, perhaps with just a small amount.

Rita - Sounds like you like sweet-tater fries:

I do not know how exactly they cook 'em, but there's a local eatery "Juniper 61", where they make really good sweet potato fries.

Theirs are lightly battered, and probably twice-fried. Cut like "steak fries" (about half-inch by quarter-inch rectangular cross-section). They cook 'em until they start to brown a little at the edges. Nice and crisp on the outside, tender & fluffy on the inside.

(They go down REALLY GOOD with a steak sandwich and an ice-cold beer!)

Back