Whole Eye Round??

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
My wife came home with a Boneless Whole Eye Round Choice last night. What's a good way to cook it. Either on the grill or in the oven. We're expecting a storm tomorrow so the oven seems to be the option.

My suggestion is to sear it; and then cook to med-rare/medium depending on your tastes. A little S & P, thyme and garlic would work just fine. Last week I had a fantastic dinner that included beef tenderloin with a Madeira sauce that was killer. I'm thinking a little Madeira sauce would go well with the eye.

Sear over high heat and then move it over indirect until you reach your desired temperature. I also would keep it about medium rare.

I would also considering rotissing it and I have used it for beef jerky as well.

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Paul, should I cook it at a low temp? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, I would go high temp (350+). This cut is very lean and doesn't benefit from a low and slow cook. Cooking it at a low temp would only dry out the meat.

I make these alot on the 22.5" Master touch. I use the 2 charcoal baskets filled and place the eye in the middle of the grate. Cook at 400+ with 2 small pieces of oak to desired internal temp. You'll want to cook it to medium or less to keep it from turning into rubber. I just use S&P and garlic. They turn out great.

Hi,

This recipe is from Jan/Feb issue of Cook's Illustrated:

Slow Roasted Beef

1 Boneless eye-round roast (3 1/2 to 4 1/2 pounds)
4 teaspoons of kosher salt or 2 teaspoons of table salt
2 teaspoons plus 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
2 teaspoons of ground pepper

1. Sprinkle all sides of roast evenly with salt. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate 18 to 24 hours.

2. Adjust the oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 225 degrees.
Pat roast dry with paper towels; Rub with 2 teaspoons of oil and sprinkle all sides evenly with pepper. Heat remaining tablespoon oil in 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat until starting to smoke. Sear roast until browned on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer roast to wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Roast until meat thermometer inserted into middle of roast registers 115 degrees for medium rare, 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours or 125 degrees for medium, 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours

3. Turn oven off; leave roast in oven, without opening door, until meat-prob thermometer or instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the roast registers 130 degrees for med-rare, or 140 degrees for medium, 30 to 50 minutes longer. Transfer roast to carving board and let rest 15 minutes. Slice meat crosswise as thinly as possible and serve.

Horseradish Cream Sauce:

1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon table salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Whisk cream in medium bowl until thickened but not yet holding soft peaks, 1 to 2 minutes. Gently fold in horseradish, salt, and pepper.
Transfer to serving bowl and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour before serving.

Back