2.5 tel-tru installation question

Mike Batsarisakis

TVWBB Super Fan
I am thinking about a 2.5 inch tel-tru UT300 install. I would like to install same about half way down the dome to closer to the edge of the lid. It seems to make more sense given the temp fluctuation from the top grate to the top of the dome. If I install same just above the lip of the lid, do I need a longer therm given that the heat rising up the side of the wsm will give me a false reading of temp next to the meat. Please advise.

Most responses to that question indicate that a 2 1/2 inch stem is sufficient for proper temperature monitoring. That's the stem length that I'm getting from Tel-Tru - it's the thermometer with the glow-in-the-dark face.

Yes but where are you planning to install same and would not the location determine the stem length to get the most accurate reading at the meat temp.

I plan to install the unit in the lid - either opposite the vent holes or it'll be mounted thru a cork placed inside one of the vent holes themselves. That therm. will be used for monitoring cooker temps at the lid itself.

My second therm. will be a Maverick ET-73 with two probes: one of monitoring meat temp and the other one placed very near the lower grate to monitor cooker temps at that level. And if the '73 goes south, I still have the analog/dial type therm (mounted in the lid) for a backup.

Mike,

I mounted dial thermometers (don't remember the brand) in my Bullets in the same location you're describing. Mine are about 3" from the bottom of the dome on the opposite side of the vents. They're mounted high enough so their dials don't touch the ground when the domes are put on the ground.

Truthfully, if I were to do it again, I'd mount them higher on the dome, probably somewhere at the halfway point or above.

Don't go with a longer stem. Even with the 2 1/2" stems in mine, there are times when the probe will touch the meat if I'm not careful about where I position the dome in relation to the meat.

Be aware the reading on your new thermo will not be the same as in the center of the top grate. But, by comparing that reading against that of a trusted digital probe in the center during a test run, you can simply adjust the target on the dial thermo to compensate for that difference. In my case, for example, to hit 225 in the center, my target on the dial thermo is 240.

Another thing I did when I installed them was to rotate their faces so that when they reading at my desired target temperature, their needles would be straight up in the 12 o'clock position.

With this approach, I can tell from a distance how far they are from the target temperature. If the needle is toward the 10 o'clock side, the Bullet is lower than may target. If it's to the right of 12, it's running hotter. I'll call this the High Noon Method for measuring cooking temps.

Hope this information helps. Enjoy your WSM.

Ken

Ken,

Looks like halfway is a good compromise. I plan on turning the dial to 250 at the 12 o'clock position. I'm gonna stick with a 2.5 inch stem length as that appears to the the consensus around here. THanks.

Mike:

Yes, it'll be mounted opposite the vents. Go to the home page of this site and checkout thermometer mounting options.

Hi Folks,

I got a 2.5 inch tel tru for Christmas and mounted it last weekend following the guidance from this site. The step drill bit worked perfectly. Previously I used a long stem thermometer through the vents. Now I am itching to fire it up, compare the two, and get smoking with the new thermo set up.

Great tips from everyone made the installation quite easy.

John K

My second smoke is tonite with Nosferatu attending!!! I plan to mount my 2.5 inch Tel Tru using aluminum foil thru one of the vents as I'd prefer not to drill my lid. Stuffin' it is kinda' a guy thing, don't you think?

I pierced the foil with the therm's stem, then inserted it into a vent hole while crumpling the foil for "strength and stability".

TJ,

I put a 2.5 tel tru stem through the vent hole. The threads on the therm ever so slightly catches the opening in the aluminum vent. The problem with this I noted is that I may not have gotten accurate readings with the therm becuase the length of the threads about a half inch or more was not completely located on the inside of the lid. Also, much to my surprise, the smoke and steam escaping from the vent during a cook actually caused some condensation within the therm. So much for hermetically sealed. Although, I wonder if any thermometer is impervious to condensation via steam. Therefore, I plan on getting a unibit to drill into the lid for a permanent install.

Condensation accumulated within my Tel Tru as well and I'm seriously considering drilling a hole to accomodate one more securely.

Drilling the hole is note anywhere near as tramatic as you might think. Just follow the instructions under the mods tab and you will have a clean and professional looking installation. Also be sure to place it so that you have plenty of room to get to the handle.

Back