Cooking Grates question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom M

New member here. I have always wondered, why are gas grill cooking grates so much heavier duty -- thick stainless steel, cast iron, etc.-- and charcoal grates are so thin? thanks

Most Gas grils come with either Cast Iron or Stainless Steel grates while the One-Touch grates are plated nickel. I am guessing this is because the Gas grills are more expensive. Recently however Weber is now offering a Stainless Steel grate for the One-Touch at only a few dollars more then the plated nickel. A smart purchase I think.

I agree - I think charcoal fires can be MUCH hotter than gas fires. I don't think BTU's has anything to do with it.

I think it's more about justifying the extra cost of the gas grills. One way they keep the cost of charcoal grills low is the cooking grates. If Weber were to offer cast iron grates for their charcoal grills, I'm sure the cost will go up a good bit.

Maybe with a gas grill you need the extra mass of a thick grate so that it can absorb the heat, and you cook on the grate, whereas in a charcoal grill you actually cook over the heat?

I believe that it is for better heat retention which equates to improved searing. A lot has to do with how BBQs are usually used. Most grilling done by the un-initiated is with the lid open. Over charcoal it is less of a problem as the charcoal fire is much hotter so a thinner grilling rack will suffice. Over gas as it is colder therefore you need a grilling rack that has better heat retention properties hence the use of cast iron. As the Weber hooded gas BBQs are designed to grill with the lid down the heat retention in the grilling racks is not a problem which is why they have the enameled or stainless folded steel racks. They have the cast iron as they proved to be marginally more effective and market pressures dictated. SS rods are available as they provide: excellent heat retention properties, longer life and ease of cleaning.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back