Brined Baked Turkey?

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
We are heading to the in-laws for T'giving this year but they do not own a smoker. I'd like to do the cooking but I'm conflicted about not having a smoker.

If I brine a turkey, will I have any success baking it the "normal" way or is a brined turkey more effective when smoked?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Jeff, you'll be pleased with your brined, oven-roasted bird. Brining is the way to go. Do let it air-dry, as you would for the WSM.

Rita

Brining is used to keep the bird moist, an oven roasted nonstuffed bird should come out moist and tender, not smoked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Jeff, you'll be pleased with your brined, oven-roasted bird. Brining is the way to go. Do let it air-dry, as you would for the WSM.

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rita, thanks for the response. Query this -- all of the recipes I read on the internet speak of brining for up to 24 hours and then immediately rinsing and baking the bird. My understanding is that after brining, I should air dry the bird in the refrigerator for 24 hours. What does air drying do to the bird? Is there any concern with air drying for that long drying out the bird?

Thanks.

It's not absolutely necessary, but the purpose of air-drying the bird is to dry the skin for better browning. Sometimes the skin of brined birds cooks off less than crisp. Pat the skin as dry as you can with paper towels, then set it on a rack over a tray, uncovered, in your refrigerator for 24 hours.

It's nice to get the brining out of the way and to get the turkey ready to roast before the crush of holiday cooking.

Some folks set the turkey in front of a small fan to speed the drying.

It won't dry out the meat.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
It's not absolutely necessary, but the purpose of air-drying the bird is to dry the skin for better browning. Sometimes the skin of brined birds cooks off less than crisp. Pat the skin as dry as you can with paper towels, then set it on a rack over a tray, uncovered, in your refrigerator for 24 hours.

It's nice to get the brining out of the way and to get the turkey ready to roast before the crush of holiday cooking.

Some folks set the turkey in front of a small fan to speed the drying.

It won't dry out the meat.

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are golden. Thanks so much! Have a great Thanksgiving.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the purpose of air-drying the bird is to dry the skin for better browning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Also, if you were smoking, the drying process allows the pellicle to form which allows for better smoke adhesion. In the oven or the smoker, given the opportunity, I always try to allow some time for drying. Best turkey I ever made went a solid twenty-four hours drying (after brining) , uncovered, on a rack (with a computer fan) blowing on it.

We brine our oven-baked turkeys every year. And we've never air-dried them for 24 hours. Usually they come out of the brine that morning, get patted dry, rubbed with butter and go right in the oven. The Alton Brown method! It has never failed us.
icon_smile.gif

Jeff, I'm doing the same thing. Wife is tired of smoked turkey that looks like a meteorite. She asked if I'd do it in the oven. Against my nature but will do to please the wife. Follow Rita's instructions. Air dry in fridge after rinsing thoroughly and patting dry.

Back