Help on Temp for Doneness

Dennis T.

TVWBB Super Fan
As the big day approaches, I'm anxious about what temperature to cook to. I've seen a range of recommendations ... 160 (breast) ... 170 (thigh) ... 165 (either) ... frankly, it's confusing.

What do you think a good target temperature (breast and/or thigh) would be?

Also, I may need to hold the bird in a cooler for a bit of time. Does that make a difference in what the target should be?

I know this is an elementary question, but I appreciate any clarity offered!

This weekend, I just did a test run on smoking my first turkey. I removed it when the temps measured in both breasts were 162 and 164. I let it rest for a about 30 minutes wrapped in foil. Temps shot up to about 169 and 170. It was my first turkey and must say it was great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
Meathead, over at Amazingribs.com says just check the breast, that the thigh will be done when the breast is done.

He also suggests pulling the turkey at 160, because it will actually rise to 165 as it rests.

This is my first year doing a turkey, so I'm just passing on what he says, but he's never lead me astray!

Link:
http://www.amazingribs.com/rec...e_smoked_turkey.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great link Matt, Thanks for posting!

Back