Is Trend a Good Thermometer for the Top of the WSM?

Steve Williams

I had a Taylor thermometer that I used for a few years on my WSM. It had a clip on the rod and I just kind of clipped it inside one of the top vent holes. It stopped working and I want to replace it. I think I've read that Trend makes good thermometers - do I have that right?

The Taylor I had was like this (which may have been a candy thermometer)

41K-A7CBgXL._SS400_.jpg

By the way, is this Weber thermometer a good one?

31RZQR8M8NL._SS500_.jpg

I second the Tel Tru. I bought two - one for each WSM - from Larry Wolfe when he had his business and they were excellent investments.

Pat

the one you listed is perfectly fine. and it doesnt even have to be spot on accurate. just a rough guess is all you really need. and truly dont even really need numbers all that much. i just use my therm to tell if the temp is going up or the temp is going down. i honestly do not really care what temp it is actually at.

going up means you got a leak somewhere going down means you either closed a vent too much or are running out of fuel. steady temp is all that matters. doneness is checked more by feel with beef and pork and temp of the actual meat with fowl.

I don't know about Trend but that Weber is a pretty good thermometer. I use that one in the vent of my kettle with a wooden clothespin to hold it upright. Hasn't let me down yet.
Like the others said, Tel Tru is excellent too.

Back