Japanese knives from Lee Valley

They looks nice and well made, although not sure where they are made...doesn't specifically say Japan (not that I saw). If it were me, I would try out one knife first for a little while before going for a set. Maybe try out the 6 7/8 chef knife or the santoku.

I was just assuming they're made in Japan since they don't have a brand name on them, yet they're called Japanese knives. I'll have to look into that. I like the idea of picking up a single to check out first. I need a santoku anyway, as my son opened a can with my existing santoku and bent the crap out of the edge. Now he denies doing it, but there are only 3 of us in the house and my wife doesn't care enough about it to fib; she would just fess up and tell me to stop whining and get over it.
Another good thing about having a local Lee Valley is that I can handle the knife a little first and see how it fits my hand. I'm no chef, believe me, so I'm not all that descriminating, but I do want something decent, and something that will take and hold a keen edge.
Thanks for your input, Jack.

I bought a Tojiro 8.4" Gyotu from Korin Trading that I've been very happy with. That knife got very good reviews on cookingforengineers.com.

It turns out these Lee Valley knives are Ice Bear knives. They've been selling them for quite a while. I haven't bought anything yet as some unexpected expenses came up, but I'm still looking. Thanks for the input on other brands too.

Trev if Lee Valley says it is a quality knife then I would trust them. They really care about their reputation.

That's what I thought too, Bob. The guy I spoke with at Lee Valley said they've been selling these ones for a number of years now and they seem to be good knives. They've sold a pile of them. I like the look of 'em so I may end up with a set, we'll see how it goes. Father's day is acomin' so we'll see what the wife thinks about that.

Those knives from Lee Valley look nice, and VG-10 steel takes an edge pretty easily, and holds it pretty darn well.

However, I caution you that once you dive down the rabbit hole of Japanese knives, it's tough to see your way out. You will find your disdain for the traditional Wusthof and Henkels, etc., drives all your friends crazy, and they will start rolling their eyes when you begin extolling the virtues of carbon steel knives, 10,000 grit waterstones, balsa strops loaded with .25 micron diamond paste, etc.

If you want to check out some other options before you jump in, chefknivestogo dot com will open a whole new world. Right now they have a Torijo DP Damascus Steel Santoku on sale for $80. That's a crazy good deal on a knife that is a full step ahead of the Lee Valley ones.

And if you want some really good advice, the guys at knifeforums dot com are a wealth of info. I am a rank newbie, and they have helped me learn quite a bit before I jumped in and bought my first carbon Japanese blade. Unfortunately, now I have the bug and I stare longingly at many other knives that I can't afford ;-)

Good luck and let us know what you decide,
Bill

Thanks for the info, William. I joined knifeforums several months ago and you're right, they're a wealth of knowledge over there. I've learned a lot from them. I've also checked out chefknivestogo and they have great deals for sure. Here in the great white north we have a dealer called paulsfinest and he also has excellent deals and no duty charges to deal with. Also, he has good shipping charges so I'm likely to end up dealing with him.
As far as father's day goes, well, I wound up with a brand new watch instead, but I needed one anyway and it's a nice one so I'm not complaining. I work with a Japanese fellow and he told me yesterday it's bad luck to get knives as a gift and I'd have to give my wife something in return if she gave me knives. All I could think was that she already has everything of mine. Maybe I better buy my own knives. LOL

Trev:

Glad to hear you've already found the guys at kinfeforums. They are a great help. Good luck as you keep searching, and let us know what you end up buying.

Bill

PS I checked out the paulsfinest site you mentioned. They have some nice things, including knives by Misono, which is what I bought. Mine is a 240 mm Swedish Steel carbon gyuto. I've really liked using it, even though it requires more diligent maintenance to build up the patina and ward away rust.

I have three Shun kinves (including a 10" Ken Onion) and I can't say enough good things about them. Not sure if its the balance, grip, weight, steel, design, looks..or what...but I am crazy over these knives.
All of my high quality German knives are sitting in the block wanting to be used...sad.

I,too have been bitten by the Japanese knife bug! It's amazing how sharp one can get a knife and I have the scars to prove it! Chefknivestogo is a great site. I have bought several items from the guy Mark Richman. There are also a lot of videos about sharpening Japanese knives there and on youtube. Be cafeful or you will be addicted as we are!!lol

I have one Japanese knife and although I like it...it is the only one that the tip has bent on me. Maybe from misuse, but I don't remember how... just one day the tip was bent. Maybe someone in the familiy used it improperly and didn't tell me.

Anyways I have a sales and marketing background, so my natural inclinaton is to be careful with any claims about products by retailers without an arms lenght distance from the profit potential. It's not too diffcult to separate money from a person with the right type of sales/marketing (Pet rocks, Ghia pets, beanie babies, etc.).

With that said, many overhype Japanese knives (and some German style as well). I'm sure they are all good, but can one do the same job with a similar much less expensive knife? With proper sharpening skills, most cheaper knifes can be brought up to a razor sharpness.

One of the better deals out there is a forged (research forged vs. stamped), full tang, line by Update Internationl. The 10" Chef's knife is under $15.00. I have the 8.5 and it's one of my go to knives.

http://www.katom.com/370-KGE08.html

The paring knife is only $5.00.

http://www.katom.com/370-KGE01.html

Originally posted by J Reyes:
I have one Japanese knife and although I like it...it is the only one that the tip has bent on me. Maybe from misuse, but I don't remember how... just one day the tip was bent. Maybe someone in the familiy used it improperly and didn't tell me.

That happened to me too, except it wasn't the tip of the knife it was about mid-way along the blade. Looked like someone tried to open a can with it or something similarly moronic. I know who did it too, but he won't confess. Oh well, I told him that he's inheriting that set anyway. It took quite a while with the stones to remove that ding.

Back