Steamship Round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob B.

TVWBB Pro
Can someone give me some guidlines for cooking one of these? It's going to be in the 30 pound range. It won't be in my WSM, but it will be smoked. Looking for help with time and temp. I know I'm looking for ~ 140* internal, but at what temp and for roughly how long? I'm thinking 300* for ??? minutes per pound?

Rob,
won't a 30 lb hunk of meat about break your average smoker or Weber grill? It wouls seem to me that it could be smoked, BUT it would take a LONG time! Why not a couple of standing Rib roasts?

Yeah, it probably would. But this one is bigger than average. Here's a picture of 18 butts (~150lbs) on it, with room to spare. I'll just slide out some racks as needed. I'm cooking this for my work's Christmas party, and it was the bosses request.

18butts.jpg

I haven't done a small steamship in eons. And it's quite a while since I cooked an average one or a larger one. I'm thinking my basic steamship (40-55 lbs) came in at 10 min/lb and the larger ones (~80 lbs) came in at around 7/lb. The large ones (80 and over) I do at 250, the basic (and smaller) at 300, in between (60-70) at 275. If you need to hold it and have good temp control of your cooker, hold at 150. They benefit greatly with a hold. You can actually plan to hit your target temp (mine was 138) during the hold. If you are not using a water pan stick one in during the holding period to keep the surrounding air humid. (You can, alternatively, hit your target, pull, and rest 20-30 min, loosely covered.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back