Turkey on OTS - Thoughts?

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
Imagine my surprise when the wife asked for me to do the turkey on the Weber this year. Guess she has seen the light.

Having done both the MM and standard lighting for indirect ribs and chickens, I plan on giving it a go. I have a TJ brined bird. Temps in MN should be in the mid 40's. I usually bank the coals on one side, but feel I will get more even heat with doing a bank on each side. I had planned on filling each side with unlit, and using about 10 lit on each side and shoot for 350*.

Any thoughts on my coal amounts.

jeff

jeff..

i like the half circle method with the pan underneath..put the legs toward the coals, from there u just have too go by feel. i also like too have the turkey on a rack in a pan.. happpy turkey day.. i goot 50 local oysters for weds night!!

glenn in SC

What Glenn said. The coal amount sounds right are you using baskets or rails and how big is the turk? I usually do a 20lb on the OTG and have to add coals midway when using the rails.

Tim

I will use my split fire bricks on the side to keep the coals off the sides of my foil pan that I plan on putting in the middle. This gives lots of room for unlit, but will add more if needed. I have gone 5 hours before without adding any, although at somewhat lower temps.

Bird is 15#

Back