Where to Buy Pinquito Beans?

Jim Langford

TVWBB Fan
I'm an American ex-pat who will be visiting my native San Diego area in June, and I wonder where I can buy pinquito beans. The last time I was in California I had a he** of a time finding them. Any suggestions? Are they sold in supermarkets?

My grandmother, who hailed from Santa María and lived for many years in Guadalupe, always served these delicious legumes with her barbecue (sorry, Southerners, I respectfully insist upon my right to use this term when referring to beef cooked over oak coals California style
icon_smile.gif
).

Warm regards,

J.L.

Hi Jim! Good to hear from you again. You're not posting enough here.

We Southerners will forgive you for barbecuing beef...after all, many parts of the world just haven't evolved far enough to appreciate *real* barbecue yet. But I'm confident that your time will come.
icon_wink.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I know you're looking for a source to buy the beans locally while you're here, and hopefully someone will set you on the right path. Meanwhile, here are a couple of Websites for ordering the beans to be delivered to where you will be staying.

http://www.susieqbrand.com/

Navigate to products and click on beans.

They are more reasonable at RanchoGordo.com, recommended by Kevin Kruger:

http://tinyurl.com/5wxg83

Have a good trip!
Best regards,
Rita

Really Jim! Where ya been? I was just thinking of you the other day before I left on my current tour around the country. I was making piri-piri molho and as I was adding the fresh chilies to it thought of you--I adopted your idea wholesale when you posted it way back when and always do it now. (I have also taken to using different citrus juices (along with powdered zest), either alone or in blends, and have enjoyed the results. This last batch was with ruby grapefruit as I have loads on the tree.)

I have found canned pinquitos in SD but not dried--not that they're not there, somewhere, but I've not found them. Do take a look at the Rancho Gordo site. If you are a bean fan you'll find beans there that are near impossible to find conventionally. $8 shipping for any amount so if you're interested you could load up on bean varieies for your return, having them shipped to SD.

Rita and Kevin,

Thanks to both of you for the kind words and sage advice. I knew I could count on the good folks on this site to set me straight.

Jim

Back