Weber Q Disposable Cylinder

Paul G.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have a 220 with an adapter, but wanted to have a disposable cylinder as a back-up and for occasional use. I bought what looked like the right size at a hardware store but failed to note it didn't have threads, so it would screw on.

What are others using and where are you purchasing them.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

You can get the cylinders at any large hardware store. I get them from Home Depot. They are in the hand tool and power tool department. There will be two types of gas, Mapp gas will be in the yellow tank and regular propane in the blue tank. Get the blue one. It should run about $2-3 per tank.

Thanks Ron

You know I did buy a 14.1 ounce, blue cylinder, but it wouldn't screw on. I pushed it in and then turned it, but it never attached .. ? Wonder if I'm doing something wrong - duh .. how many ways are there to screw something on ... Maybe left handed threads ?

Paul

Here (Uptop or Downunder. depending on your location)we have 9kg 20 lb and 4.5 Kg (10lb) tanks.
I have one of each - I use the 4.5 kg tank if I am taking the Qsomewher and at home I use the 9 kg tank. The 4.5 tank acts as a backup and vica versa.
Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
I have a 220 with an adapter, but wanted to have a disposable cylinder as a back-up and for occasional use. I bought what looked like the right size at a hardware store but failed to note it didn't have threads, so it would screw on.

What are others using and where are you purchasing them.

Thanks,

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you remove the adapter prior to trying to screw on the blue cylinder? (which should have threads.

Rich

My Q 220 has a brass fitting where the bottle would screw on with treads and a tip that would go into the bottle. My bottle is blue, and 14.1 ounces. It appears to have one thread. When I insert the tip and try to screw it on, it never attaches ... I didn't see anything I thought could be removed other than a little plastic cap over the tip, which I did remove.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

I don't know what you bought, but I think you may have a propane cylinder for use with a blowtorch. I think these are different than the small LP tanks that are used on Coleman stoves and Weber Q's.

Jim

Jim

I think that is exactly what I bought. Got it at a mom/pop hardware and will stop by today and show them what I need.

Thanks,

Paul

end of story - there was actually a factory defect in the cylinder. The threads were left off except for about a half of one thread. Salesman was pretty shocked. Replaced with another that has full threads and connects with no problem.

Paul

Paul,

I was wrong about the propane cylinder, you had the right one and the Coleman bottles don't fit in the rack on the Q.

Has anyone adapted their Q to fit the Coleman bottles? They are less expensive and have more volume than the blowtorch type cylinders.

Jim

Seems to me that there are two differnet kinds of disposible propane tanks - a long thin one holding 12 ounces (I think) which is usually used for hand torches, and a short stubby one holding 16 ounces, often with a coleman label on it, usually used with propane lanterns.

Both have the exact same threading and are in most applications interchangeable, unless there are problems due to the different shapes (steric hinderence)

The long, thin cylinder is the one designed for the torch and it is 14.1 ounces. However it is the one that fits the support holder for the Weber Q. The Coleman cylinder does fit; however because of its size it will not fit into the support holder. That cylinder would be preferable because of it greater size and lesser cost.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
I have a 220 with an adapter, but wanted to have a disposable cylinder as a back-up and for occasional use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I assume that the adapter goes to a 20 pound cylinder - and you wnat to use a dosposable for portability and as DANG @%$@%^&* tank is empty insurance.

If that is the case, I just don't thiink the extra cost of the long thin disposible propane is going to be significant in the long run.

I do not move my Performer (gas ignition) it stands next to a 20# tank with adapter hose, but I screwed a 16 OZ Coleman tank onto the performer and its just not worth the minimal hassle to take the small tank off and attach the big tank.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
I just don't thiink the extra cost of the long thin disposible propane is going to be significant in the long run) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You know, that really is true. Here I sit with a Genesis Silver B. 2 WSMs, a Performer, a RK, and 2 SJs, and didn't hesitate buying any of them, but I'm worried about a $2.50, back up propane cylinder ... go figure
icon_confused.gif

I'm sure I've got the saying wrong, but its something like..."swallow an elephant and choke on a gnat"
icon_smile.gif

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
I just don't thiink the extra cost of the long thin disposible propane is going to be significant in the long run) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You know, that really is true. Here I sit with a Genesis Silver B. 2 WSMs, a Performer, a RK, and 2 SJs, and didn't hesitate buying any of them, but I'm worried about a $2.50, back up propane cylinder ... go figure
icon_confused.gif

I'm sure I've got the saying wrong, but its something like..."swallow an elephant and choke on a gnat"
icon_smile.gif

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL
icon_smile.gif

I sent them an e-mail to see if it would work with the 14.1 ounce cylinder that fits the support holder on the Weber Q. They replied it had not been tested on that cylinder so they could not say one way or the other. It would be cheaper and certainly more convenient for me.

Paul

I sent them an e-mail to see if it would work with the 14.1 ounce cylinder that fits the support holder on the Weber Q. They replied it had not been tested on that cylinder so they could not say one way or the other. It would be cheaper and certainly more convenient for me.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come-on Paul.

Assuming $25 (w/S&H) for the MacCoupler and $15 for a 20# refill versus $2.50 for 14.1 oz. cylinders. What is your pay-back period? Assuming 2 cylinders a year, something like 7 years.

How long until you lose the MacCoupler? Who said "swallow an elephant and choke on a gnat"?

BTW - I'm ordering my MacCoupler, now.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You know, that really is true. Here I sit with a Genesis Silver B. 2 WSMs, a Performer, a RK, and 2 SJs, and didn't hesitate buying any of them, but I'm worried about a $2.50, back up propane cylinder ... go figure </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have already made the decision to buy, now the dilema is: how many to get! Buy a few and save on the petrol costs.

Regards

Back