Controlling Temps in Mini-WSM

R. Hutchins

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone done a post (if so, I can't find it) on techniques for controlling temp in a Smoker Joe?

I posted my build (SJS and Imusa) in the mega-thread but thought that this would be the best place to post my question about controlling temps. I'm having trouble keeping temps at smoking level. I'm certain that I have used too much charcoal just as I'm certain that I've used too little. I've tried a few hot coals in Minion arrangement in a full basket of unlit.

Most of the time my temps soar up to about 400*.
I tried using only 10 briquettes but that didn't last long enough. Temps went above 250* for awhile then fell below 200*.

I've tried leaving the top vents wide open and closing down the bottom vents. This has only a marginal effect. I tried letting the coals burn down for an hour+ but when I put the meat on and the lid, temps spiked.

Anybody perfected this art yet that is willing to share "trade" secrets?

I built my mini-WSM using a Smokey Joe Gold (so this is a bit of apples and oranges) but I almost fill the lower bowl with lump and then light a half chimney full of lump and dump the lit coals on the unlit.

It is pretty easy to keep temps between 225-300.

Are you using a heatsink of some type? I like the 12 inch foil wrapped clay saucer.

Howdy Greg!

I use a metal pie plate wrapped in foil. I have a 12" ceramic flower pot saucer. Thanks for reminding me. I'll use it on my next smoke to see if it makes a difference.

If I might ask, how long do you let your coals burn down before starting your smoke?

One way I have made an attempt to control the temperature was to install damper vents on the bottom kettle of the mini-wsm. I have sj silver, so I felt for more temperature control, it needed to mimic the effects of his bigger brother.

The dampers cost $10 on ebay, you'll need something to cut holes into metal as well

Thank you, Greg!

The 12" saucer covered in foil and filled with water did the trick. I cut back on charcoal by about 50%, too. Temp - measured with my ET-73 - reached about 205* and stalled so I added about 10 briquettes. Temps came up to about 220* and have stayed there consistently for about 3 hours. My smoker probe is in a block of wood about 1" wide and sits about 3 inches from the top of the tamale pot. I have half the rack below it and half on the same level.

I'm smoking some spare ribs and just foiled them with some apple juice and will leave them there for another hour and half.

Thanks again for reminding me about the heat sink. That pie pan is going to be relegated to uses out side the smoker.

I started my build on page 29 and I to have a gold.I personaly don't think adding the water helped that much.If you had the time to go through all the post you will see most folks don't use any liqiud at all.After seeing people were having problems using a silver I went with the gold.I see you used less lit coals this time....that was most likley was the problem ..to many lit coals.I usually just load the bowl and use about 4 or 5 lit coals,it takes a little longer to come up to temp,but I can catch it on the way up quicker.These are great lttle economical smokers and some have got 12 to 14 hours on one load of coals.

I have the sjs and use a solid basket that fits tight around the charcoal grate. Temperature control is no problem at all with this setup. It also allows better burn control for the charcoal by holding it in a tighter group. The water pan makes a difference by holding temps at or below 212 degrees. I can see immediately when the water has all boiled off as the temps will start climbing.

I would agree with Glenn on this one. I think better temp control was achieved by using less lit charcoal, not the use of a water pan. When loading my mini before a cook, I cram as much unlit in the bottom sa I can fit, (along with my smoke wood) and top it off with 9/10 lit coals. I load all my meat as I assemble the smoker, and within 30 minutes +/- I'm at 225*. Holding the temp between 225-250 is done with the vents, and has never been an issue. I think the addition of too many lit coals was the main reason your temps were climbing too high, and your burn times were too short. Try starting out with 10 or so lit coals, but no water pan next time. I believe you will (again) get the temp control you've been looking for.
Good luck,
Tim

For the record, I have done the modified Minion method with my charcoal basket (same diameter as the charcoal grate) crammed with unlit and only 7-8 lit in the middle, but without the 12" saucer and water, temps shot past 300* and climbed over 400*. I honestly cannot tell whether the water was that much of a factor or whether it was just the mass of the terra cotta saucer; however, because the temp came to and stayed at 215-220* as measured by the the Maverick ET-73, I think the water played a large role. It was only after the water volume was mostly depleted that I got temps going above 225*.

Nothing scientific about it. Just reporting what I think I observed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted June 16, 2012 06:03 PM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well if it works thats great.I tried the saucer,but went back to a foiled pizza pan.Just wondering if youu miht have a air leak somwhere.Can you snuff it out after a cook ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R. Hutchins:
For the record, I have done the modified Minion method with my charcoal basket (same diameter as the charcoal grate) crammed with unlit and only 7-8 lit in the middle, but without the 12" saucer and water, temps shot past 300* and climbed over 400*. I honestly cannot tell whether the water was that much of a factor or whether it was just the mass of the terra cotta saucer; however, because the temp came to and stayed at 215-220* as measured by the the Maverick ET-73, I think the water played a large role. It was only after the water volume was mostly depleted that I got temps going above 225*.

Nothing scientific about it. Just reporting what I think I observed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob as you observed you do need a heat diverter of some sort. I just use a foiled pie plate and control temps via the vents.

With no diverter the temps will get north of 300 in a hurry.

I like to cook in the upper 200s (275-300) so I have no desire trynig to keep it at 225 ish temps.

With chicken I just let it run wide open (with diverter) and it can get into the low 300s which is fine with me.

I'm getting much better results with the 12" terra cotta filled with water and less charcoal - certainly less lit to start.

I'm going to use it this evening with a 10" saucer with water because I want to see if it will get a little hotter without running away on me.

Yes! I can snuff it by shutting the vents top and bottom.

Thanks for all the input.

Back