Chicken Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mattD

Hi Everyone,
This past weekend I smoked 2 whole chickens in a brand new WSM which I purchased about 4 weeks ago. The weather was sunny and wind was trades 5-10 mph, temperature was 87 degrees, bright and sunny. Cooking temperature was about 220-250 grate temperature and I was using the "Minion Method". I first rinsed and dried the chickens and seasoned with Hawaiian Salt, Black Pepper, and Dried Oregano. Everything turned out great except the chicken skin was tough and chewy. The color was mahogany brown and the meat was moist and tender. The only problem was the skin. Anybody out there know a method to keep the skin softer or maybe crisp it up a bit? I shared the chicken with my dive buddies and they kinda where disappointed that the skin was "Junk".
redface.gif

This is very common on barbecued chicken cooked in the 220-250*F range. I find that the skin on the legs and wings is edible, but not much else. About the only thing you can do is cook it hotter, maybe 300*F, or cook it as you did then finish at high heat on a gas or charcoal grill to crisp the skin.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks for the tip Chris, maybe coating the skin with butter and flour would help? Or maybe some other type of sauce with a starch content? Anyway check out "Clean Burn" on the Forum. I had the same problem of getting the WSM to burn hotter. I used the "Minion Method" with about a half of the charcoal ring filled, all vents open 100% as well as the top vent and I could only get up to about 250 degrees grate temperature. I used the water pan filled with water, the hottest it got was the water at a slow simmer. I usually get a full rolling boil in my water pan when using my old "Green Egg" going full blast. I just could not get my WSM to go any hotter I also used kingsford charcoal and considering I cooked only 2 whole chickens about 1.5 - 2.00 lbs. apiece I don't think I over loaded the WSM, got any ideas or suggestions? Aloha

I'm not so sure about the flour, but vegetable or olive oil is often used. Still, it's hard to get the kind of skin you really want without going to a higher temp.

Regarding the "Clean Burn" post, I'll see if someone else has something to say about it; if not, I'll jump in.

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 05-22-2000).]

Matt
You can oil the skin, on top and under, but if you do take into consideration that all the peppers from your rub will be hotter than normal.
If you cook at a higher temp 275-325*, the skin will have the texture you are looking for. The meat is still moist if you take it off at the correct internal temps. Higher cooking temps have put our chicken in the money for the last two years.
Jim

Much Mahalo & Aloha for the tip Chris and Jim, I will try these tips the next time I do my chicken and or turkey. By the way any advise on how to increase my temperature? I used the "Minion Method" with 1/2 full charcoal chamber and with all vents 100% open and still could only get about 250 degree grate temperature. I used the water pan with water, could this be the reason why I cannot get a higher temperature? Maybe I needed to fill the charcoal chamber full instead of only 1/2 full? Any comments? "ALHOA"

The whole point of the Minion Method is to maintain a temperature of 225-250*F for very long periods of time, so I don't think you had a problem--it was working the way it was supposed to! Still, I'm not sure why your temp didn't jump higher with all the bottom vents open. Most people do fill the ring completely when doing the Minion Method, so that might be it. To be safe, I'd check the accuracy of your thermometer, too.

I reserve the Minion Method for my longer cooking sessions, like pork butt or brisket where I'm trying to maintain 225-250*F for 8, 10, 12 hours or more.

When cooking for 4 to 6 hours (which covers chicken, turkey breast, and ribs), I prefer to use the standard approach of 1-1/2 to 2 chimneys of lit charcoal. I get the all the coals hot and covered with gray ash, assemble the cooker, add cool water to the pan, and close all bottom vents, leaving the top vent wide open.

When my lid thermometer reads 325*F, I put my meat on, then add my smoke wood. The cooker temp drops quickly into the 240-250*F range. I keep the bottom vents closed until the temp gets down into the 225-235*F range, then I start cracking them open a bit, and adjust as needed throughout the rest of the cooking session to maintain that range.

Regards,
Chris

Matt
What Chris said, he's right on.
If you are looking for higher temps, try lump charcoal, will burn hotter.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back