Any issues grilling on charcoal grate?

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
I can't find a cooking grate for my SJ in local stores. Online prices aren't bad, but shipping kills the deal.

I'm about done with my SJ conversion to a smoker and need a 2nd cooking grate. Any problems grilling on the charcoal grate?

No problem.

I use a 22" charcoal grate as a 3rd grate in my 18" WSM. It's just not coated in chrome so rust prevention maintenance is necessary. A quick wipe with a little mineral oil, "Intestinal Lubricant" grade, will work.

I would suggest you check Craigslist in your area for SJ's. They usually go for $5~$10. For that you'll get 2 grates and spare parts.

Update: Here's one in Green Hills - SJ needs a home!

Steve -

I see you are in Columbia TN, which is pretty close to all the stuff up at Cold Springs. If there is an Academy Sports there, they sell a 14 inch replacement cooking grid for about $4. It is too small to fit on a Smokey Joe as a cooking grate but if you use a little bit longer bolts for your 2nd grate shelf on your Smoke Joe conversion, it'll work just fine for the second grate.

Just a suggestion - I've been using one of these as a second grate for my conversion for a while.

Pat

Thanks, guys. Hadn't thought about the used SJ market. Great idea. Pat - I have the Academy grill as the bottom to set my clay saucer on. The SJ fits so snugly in the pot, just liked that better.

Steve have u tried Home Depot or Lowe's they carry grilling grates for the 18.5 wsm,22 otg, 22 ots and sj, they alse carry the charcoal grates. I am in the corpus christi tx area gl in finding ur grate.

Back