Second cook of the night... coal question help... Quickly ;)

AaronH

TVWBB Member
Ok so I just did a brisket and now want to put on a couple butts. The problem is I still have a good chunk of hot coals and don't know what to do for my second cook. Not enough coals to make it through the night, but if I dump a bag on I'm sure the temps will shoot up and burn too quick.

What does one do when he is use to the Minion Method if you already have bunch of hot coals going?!?!?

Do you have a kettle that you can dump the hot coals into, or maybe a empty metal garbage can? Then you could pack your fire ring again on the WSM, and put the lit ones on top for an instant minion method. I guess you could put your fresh unlit on top, close all the bottom vents and keep the water full and hope the temp comes down to where you want. Or just cook it high heat. I did a high heat pork butt on my egg a few weeks back, it was great. But thats hard to suggest when its getting late, it would be done in the early AM.

Thanks. I thought of that (using a metal can) but didn't have one on hand. What I did is put all the coals in a pile off to the side and just filled up the ring with what was needed. I figured it's a combo side/top minion method. Temps seem to be doing ok so far. I have all vents closed and just going by the DigiQ. Guess we will see.

So far so good. Been around 235-250 for about 11 hours. It jumped to 270 for about an hour and I couldn't get it down, but other then that it worked out well. Both butts are just at 192 now and plan on pulling them out between 195-200.

Don't know what happened but hardly none of the fat rendered. It came out fatty and a bit dry. I also noticed that in the water pan there wasn't as much drippings as there has been before.

So for this weekends smoke it was a fail. Brisket overcooked (should have never left with only 10* to go hahaha) and butt just dry and fatty and a bit flavorless.

Though there are some upsides. The flavor of the smoke on the butts was perfect. Apple wood, and just the right amount. I used all the chips I had left because I have my chunks now and interlaced them throughout the coals in layers and used a ton more then I have in the past. The brisket flavor was also spot on, just dry. If you cut it off and ate it right away it wasn't as dry, but if it sat out for a few mins it was crazy dry. So for the brisket I will try it the same way again, just watch not take my GF out to eat with only 10* left to go haha.

As far as the butts it's back to the drawing board on that one.

I guess I've been lucky so far -- no dry bbq. When I hear that someone has ended up with dry Q, I always think it might be that the meat hasn't rested long enough. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and let rest for at least a half hour (or more) before pulling or cutting. Best wishes to you Aaron.

Sounds to me like a resting problem too. I loosely use the 3-2-1 method and rest big cuts like butts and brisket for at least an hour. Wrap in foil and then a towle and stick them in a dry cooler

Back