Original Honey Chipolte, you mind helpin'? thanks.

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
Love bbq and grillin', more then you would imagine, but funny enough this is not my department, this is hard and sometimes tragic for me. Both of us here at home really love the idea of a perfect spicy (bold noticable spicy would be fine and great btw), but honey based glaze/sauce/baste for grilled chicken. You see I don't even know for sure what this would be be classified as. I'de like to coat after its grilled and skin as crisp as possible (although im aware it will soffen some when coated, no problem). So far i've made like-able wings and thighs w/ this. I just eye balled a strong honey base w/ some citrus booze I had layin around in the cabinet, adobo, some herbs, all kinds of peppers and chipolte powdrs. fresh, etc. orange peel, lemon peel, orange juice, lime juice.. all at different cooks, times, amounts.... by now you can tell I don't know what im doin and could use a hand. I just dont know what to do, to give it that "ahhh man this is freakin' good" touch. herb? some special kind of herb? should I use all fresh peppers blended up or.. no booze, or is there another ingredient im forgetting that would go well? I've been making these things and just reducing until its a thinish syrup. When you get done laughing at me maybe you could get me going on something else, all your guys's post are great and I know this will make sense to some of you great cooks out there. THANKS a million, cant wait to hear some ideas. BTW somehow I did like my "concoctions" better then a few things I found on random websites, so I know this is the right place to request some good help. I just crave honey and chicken often I guess.. fried, grilled, anything, we both just really like it. Im just so lost in amounts and tired of standing over the reducing pot for 45 minutes tasting it over.. and over, and over, and adding.. and tasting, and waiting and smelling. pretty soon I just dont even know what to do to get the ...special taste or "moment"
icon_wink.gif
. Im lucky enough to have access to all kinds of fresh herbs, and most things if it helps by the way. thanks again.

not sure if I can be much help but I'll try.

I scoured my go to book and came up with this recipe that I have never tried but thought might interest you:

Apricot Chipotle Glaze

1/2 cup dried apricots simmered in 1 cup dry white wine or brandy for 20 min

add to blender with:
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
2 tbs chipotle in adobo
1 tbs soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

process until smooth

thanks J. I was thinking maybe I should have asked for just a recipie or ideas, It appears I might have gotton to detailed, lol. Sometimes I have questions that I really am not sure how to ask you know. Soy sauce is something I might care to play with... I can get apricots easily as well so I may give this a try on one of those nights I don't have much planned. thanks again.

well when you mentioned honey chipotle, it sounded good enough. I would think simpler would be better in this case. I would have suggested a glaze of honey and chipotle powder. But since it didn't seem like it was what you were after, I dug around in that book. good luck and let me know if that recipe is worth trying out. The recipes in the book always have a TON of flavor, usually it works but I've found a few that have been too over the top (but that cranberry marinaded turkey is a story for another day).

Back