doug ep... ordering RK handles follow-up

G

Originally posted by doug ep:
OK, guys, I have them.

First, please let's not all call Weber at once to obtain these. Let's try to be discrete about this, and spread the calls/inquiries out for a while. Please!!

Parts List: #83778 - Handle Steel Ranch Lid (2).

Mine came with a set of the 5/16" mounting hardware-bolts, metal and insulated washers, locknuts. But the WSM grill straps are 1/4", so there is a slight mismatch...

It was not difficult to obtain them. When they ask for a serial #, they are asking for the 2 digit date code from "your" Ranch Kettle.

Doug,
I'm looking to order a set of the steel brackets. Since I don't own a RK, please clue me in on the date code I will need to know.

Thanks

Well, "your" RK is a 2008, right? So it will have a DZ date code stamped on the bottom vents. I know, it's a nuisance to bend down and look, but if you were to do that, you will find DZ on your vents.
icon_wink.gif

Funny you should mention these: I finally put mine on the WSM on Labor Day.

First, I mounted the plastic handles to the steel brackets--so that the brackets will not be bent beyond fitting the plastic handles while tweaking. I removed the bolts from the grill straps, and bolted on the top bolt, reusing the original 1/4" WSM bolts. Looked at how much I needed to spread the steel brackets, and used flat/smoothish (to not mar the brackets) pliars to do the bending--and it didn't take much. Finally, remounted the original lower WSM bolt.

It looks perfect, just like it came from the factory with handles.

Well, except for two things: I removed the plastic handles to reposition the "WEBER" logo to face toward the door, instead of reversed. Then, I realized that it looks a little out of place with the bare steel brackets, which didn't match the enameled top bracket. So I removed them, and spraypainted with hi-temp grill paint, 2 coats. Finally on Thursday, did the final mount.

So now, it finally looks like it came from the factory with handles. Someday, I will take pics and post them.

BTW, make sure you specify both the inner and outer plastic handle parts. In the other thread, Ken received only the outers, which are useless without the inners to screw them together!

For anyone: if they don't want to sell you this stuff, let me know, and I will go get it for you, and ship it to you for actual cost.

I appreciate the "code" info, and the tip about the handles. I won't need the plastic parts, however – I have several extras on hand. It seems I've seen another thread about deciphering the date code, and probably could have found it, but I was also interested in learning how your installation went. Glad to hear it was a success. And again, good catch on noticing the RK handles possibility in the first place.

Could I see them mounted horizontally?

Just messin' with ya – they look awesome. Nice work, Doug.

Back