Bull's-Eye BBQ Sauce copycat

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Didn't know but what someone might enjoy this - some of us heathen folk like this sweet stuff. <grin> I haven't tried it, but it sounds promising with perhaps the addition of some Tabasco and a boost of some of the other spices for a little more heat. May skip the Liquid Smoke, though...

Gonna try it for Memorial Day, so I'll post a report.

@@@@@
Bull's-Eye BBQ Sauce knockoff

(Created by Todd Wilbur)

1 cup water
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup tomato paste
2/3 cup vinegar
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
1 1/4 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
dash cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over high heat and whisk until smooth.

Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes or until thick.

Cool, then store in a covered container in the refrigerator overnight.

Makes 1 1/2 cups.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

You never posted back /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Actually the reason I'm replying to this is it is virtually Identicle to a KC Masterpiece knock off recipe I've found. The only difference is the KC used twice as much water basically.

I only used bullseye sauce for many years so this recipe was what I thought I was looking for. WRONG!! I hated it. I threw it out. I ended up getting Paul Kirks barbeque sauce book and have never been happier.

Well, I have only made 2 so far. A Favorite Barbecue Sauce and Mild Memphis Barbecue Sauce. I liked them both. I like the Favorite one a little better. The reason I like Paul's book is it is a guide on how to make sauces that you might like. You can add or remove ingredients that you like or dislike. I am so much happier making my own sauces than buying a sauce already made. Here in NY there are not a lot of sauces to choose from. Out of necessity I had to try making my own

There are a lot of rewards from making your sauce. I started with Steven Raichlen's Basic Kansas City Sauce. A pinch of Emeril and a dash or two of Kirk. It is starting to get respectable.

Back