Smoky Stock Demi-Glace

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
OK, not demi-glace in the true french culinary usage... call it a smoke reduction. Anyhow, I first posted about this here.

INGREDIENTS
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> 1 large onion, chopped
<LI> 1 medium carrot, chopped
<LI> 1 celery stalk, chopped
<LI> 1 Bouquet garni (parsley, thyme, bay leaf, whole peppercorns, etc.)
<LI> trimmings from 2 racks of spare ribs (from KC style cut); about 4-5 pounds* [/list]
METHOD
Smoke the trimmings for 4-5 hours, along with the ribs you do. Don't rub the trimmings - just salt and pepper lightly (you don't want to overpower the stock with the rub flavor). Don't be too shy on the smoke.

Sweat onions, carrots and celery in a large stock pot for a few minutes in about 1 tablespoon veggie oil. If needed, chop the smoked trimmings into large pieces, around 2-3 inches each. Add bouquet garni and cover barely with cold water. Simmer lightly for 2-3 hours.

Strain the stock through a very fine seive, chinois or 2 layers of fine cheesecloth. Let it rest and come to room temp. Put in a bowl, cover with wrap, and throw in the fridge overnight.

Next day (or day after that), skim off any fat that has risen to the surface. return to a stockpot and begin simmering. Reduce it until it is about 1/10 the original volume (you will probably need to put it in a smaller pot about halfway through). It should be syrupy and coat the back of a spoon. Turn off the heat.

Pour it into an ice-cube tray, dividing evenly. put it in the fridge to set. It should set like jell-o. Pop them out of the tray (running hot water on the back if they don't come free easily), throw them into a ziplock and freeze.

viola - smoke demi glace (aka true liquid smoke).

* obviously, you could use smoked chicken and chicken carcasses on this as well, if you choose...

Adam, you win! When you can post and get a one word reply from K you have accomplished something. All kidding aside what a great recipe. I wanted to reply earlier...Kevin said it best-superb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Adam, you win! When you can post and get a one word reply from K you have accomplished something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>what can I say... I leave folks speechless...
icon_smile.gif

no, really, though, try it out and let me know what you think. It certainly isn't as strong as liquid smoke, but its an awesome (and real) flavor boost. let me know...

ok, I did this again, but with chicken carcasses. I had cooked up 6 whole chickens in the WSM and had the carcasses staring me once the meat was all gone. So I returned them to the smoker for another hour or two, along with another 2 chunks of wood.

Then used them like I did in the recipe above, substituting for the rib trimmings. Reduced into a thick demi-glace. Good stuff for sauces, especially.

Adam, your idea sounds wonderful. Do you always use hickory for the most assertive smoke flavor?

Rita

Hi Rita. Hickory does seem to work well and in this application it is especially good because I want a bold smoke flavor.

But, that aside, I usually use hickory anyhow, because I love the flavor!

Back