rib eye topped w/ gorgonzola

When I am not making a sauce as well, I make compound butter. (I'll usually rub the steaks after salting with a mix of onion, the 3 peppercorns, ground, a little thyme and a very tiny pinch of clove. Or something similar.)

If I am making a sauce (often something like reduced wine plus dried cranberries or cherries with garlic and a little herb; a port wine-shallot-herb thing; or a dry Madeira-garlic-demi sort of thing) I make a compound if I am not butter mounting the sauce. If I am finishing with a butter, then either I don't make a compound--I'll crumble the cheese over the steak and melt under the broiler for a minute, serving the sauce around the steak; or if not doing a broiled finish to melt the cheese, then I usually make a compound even if I've mounted the sauce. Make sense?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">or if not doing a broiled finish to melt the cheese, then I usually make a compound even if I've mounted the sauce. Make sense? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the compound made with the cheese?

I have 2 inch and 1/2 thick prime aged rib eyes.
I really don't want to mess this up. $$$$$$$
icon_smile.gif

Wow. Cool.

Yes it is. Unsalted butter and the cheese. Use 1/2 stick of the softened (not melted!) butter to about 1/4 pound of the cheese. Process in a blender till smooth till smooth. (If not rubbing the meat, add a touch of ground white pepper.)

Remove to a piece of parchment or plastic wrap, from into a log about 1.5-inch in diameter (or, if you make a larger amount, form into a wider log), wrap and twist the ends to compact the butter and chil till firm in the fridge.

[Not at all required but if you wish: Do your plating of the the other ingredients (warm your plates if at all possible!) a few minutes after your steaks start resting. Slice your compound butter 1/4-inch thick then, working quickly, halve the steaks horizontally dead center using your sharpest knife. Cut all of them, then open all of them quickly inserting one slice of the butter into the middle of each steak and closing them up. Quickly plate, top with one or two more pieces of butter, plate, the serve immediately. I do this sometimes with thick steaks.]

That sounds perfect! Just like at Peter Luger's Steakhouse.
Thanks so much Kevin. I knew I wanted to incorporate the gorganzola but wasn't sure which was the best way.
I will let you know how I make out.

Fresh pearl mozzarella, grape tomato,and basil salad to start, then I was thinking sauteed baby spinach and roasted baby yukon gold potatoes with the steak.

Would you say that would compliment each other?
Be honest, I have not gone shopping yet for the sides.

Yes, absolutely. It is a classic combination with an added touch--that the potatoes are Yukon Golds and that they are babies. These will add their sort of butteriness, unlike, say, baby Bliss potatoes and the size will make the plate more appealing, imo, rather than, say, large potato wedges.

THe salad will make a wonderful opener.

If you don't mind a bit of presumptuousness, here's a thought for an edible garnish: a roasted red bell pepper coulis. Normally I roast peppers myself but when I don't have the time (or need to save some) I use quality jarred roasted reds, one of the few canned or jarred vegetables I'll buy.

There's a million ways to make rrrbp coulis but if this is of interest to you, I'd suggest a version like this:

Grab a jar of roasted reds (stocked sizes vary around the country and from store to store; get one that's 6-8 ounces if possible)

Dump the peppers into a strainer and allow to drain well. Do not rinse.

Meanwhile, take one small clove of garlic and place it in your smallest pot. Cover with water, bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, 10 min. Drain and reserve the garlic clove.

Also meanwhile, in another small pot, reduce 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar to about 2 tsp. Immediately pour into a blender and add the garlic clove and the peppers. (A superb balsamic for reducing, btw, is Newman's Own. Use whatever you have though.)

Add about 1/4-1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/8-1/4 tsp dried (crush the dried well with your fingers).

Pulse the blender till the mixture is pureed but not yet smooth. Add a pinch of ground white pepper and a little salt to taste. Note the sweetness. If necessary add a small pinch of white sugar. This is rarely needed but every once in a while roasted peppers are a little brassy. The balsamic reduction should add a sweetish bottom to the coulis that complements the peppers' natural sweetness, the sour tone of the balsamic, now rounded out due to reduction, will add contrast. This should be all you need but taste to be sure.

Add about 2 tsp of your best evoo then puree till smooth.

(A coulis like this can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored in the fridge, covered. Allow to come almost to room temp for service.)

The coulis will add color to your plate of course. But it also serves as a condiment either to be eaten alone, with the potatoes, with the beef--whatever. It adds flavor contrasts to the beef and gorgonzola but need not be eaten with (meaning at the same time) either. A small dollop directly on the plate or, if you prefer, in a small lettuce leaf 'cup'. You can also put about a tablespoon on the plate, say, near the potatoes, then with the back of the spoon, give it a arching smear kind of around the potatoes. Extra coulis can be used eaten with other things as is (it holds a while so is a fine 'leftover'; the flavor is best if used within 2 days so for the main event--the steaks--keep that in mind), or mixed with mayo for a tasty dressing or sandwich spread.

Just a thought.

It just so happens that my Mother-in-law makes the best homemade roasted red peppers I have ever tasted, (learned from her mother in Italy) and sent some over yesterday.
That is something I would have never thought of, but I will definitely do it. I can't wait to try it.
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out.
I will post my progress tomorrow evening.

I just made the roasted red pepper coulis.
It was so good we started putting it on crusty Italian bread and eating it just like that.
I finally had to take it away so we will have enough for the dinner later!

Terrific. I'm glad you liked it.

I played the coulis the way I did because of the way you planned your plate and the flavors it will contain. As you can easily see (and taste) the coulis is very adapatable. It can be a condiment, a sauce, a spread, a base to build from. Change the seasonings and you change how it connects to other things. (And with a mother-in-law to supply you with roasted reds...
icon_smile.gif
)

I was too tired (and full) to post last night, but the steaks turned out awsome!
The butter cut the gorgonzola perfectly, leaving it creamy with just the right amount of tang. It melted over the steaks, and putting a pat inside was right on.
The red pepper coulis looked great on the plate and tasted even better.
I can't wait to make this dish again, but I will wait a while. Those steaks were so big, I would surely have a heart attack if I get more of them any time soon!

Thanks again for your help and ideas. (My family thanks you too
icon_smile.gif
)

I was so excited reading this thread only to see no pics or link to pics in post #13. I'm so sad right now I could cry.
icon_frown.gif
Anyway so glad it turned out great for you. But Dude!, next time snap a pic or 30
icon_biggrin.gif

Back