I need Thanksgiving Day-tailgating help!

dean

TVWBB Pro
I am giving up turkey day to go to the Detroit Lions vs. Green Bay Packers game! I want some ideas for the meal please! My partner in crime asked me if I have ever smoked a turkey. What about just a breast? Could I smoke it a few days ahead and keep it frozen? I want to finish it over charcoal but we will not have enough time to do it there at the game. We will have two or three hours I am guessing. Should I fully cook it ahead of time or a little less because I am "recooking" it on a kettle grill. I can freeze it in my vacume sealer too. Maybe I could debone the breast and cook it from the raw state right at the game? Any ideas for sides that would travel for 3 hours in a cooler that would be good with it? I will prob bring my 18 inch kettle grill.

Dean,

If this will truly be a tailgate party, why not fully cook a turkey, keep it in the fridge and slice at the game for sandwiches? If you have a grill you could do brats, wings, etc. for something hot. One of the best things about Thanksgiving for me is leftover turkey for sandwiches. Kick it up and select high quality bread (rye!), stone ground mustard, high end dill pickles and sliced cheese. Make sandwich and put on the grill for a few minutes to lightly toast - yum! The turkey will keep a couple of days no problem. Sides? If you're outside make chili or a soup in advance and reheat at the game. I'd go with easy recipes that can be quickly grilled or reheat on a grill. You might also consider getting an inverter, that way you could also plug in crock pots, etc at the game. You could even start a crock pot of chili or queso an hour out. Just have someone in your car hold that pot between their feet.

Paul

Hey Dean good for you! I'll be watching that game from home. I totally agree with Paul. I would not put the pressure on yourself of smoking or grilling the turkey/breast at the tailgate party and wondering if when it is cooked. The weather could play too large of a factor. And who knows here in Michigan what it will be like. Brats, burgers etc...will be great. Do the turkey ahead of time and make
sandwiches. ABT's in my opinion go with
everything and if friends have never had them
all the more better. Good luck. Make a TVWBB sign near your BBQ maybe you will be on TV and we will know it is you!!

Thank you for the suggestions. We will decide by next week what we will cook or grill at the game!

Warm turkey sandwiches, with stuffing and cranberry on hoagie rolls (T-Day all in one) & turkey noodle soup.
Pre cook the turkey, slice, add the gravy, and refrigerate. When you get to the game, heat the turkey on the grill and let everyone put together their sandwiches.
Make the soup and noodles ahead of time but keep separate. At the game combine and heat on the grill. Bring a bunch of coffee mugs as the soup will help keep people warm while also warming their hands.
Let us know what you decide on.

I know it's kind of "exotic", but I've heard from reputable sources that Grilled Lion Kebabs (skewer them and burn them) are quite tasty!
icon_razz.gif

On a serious note:

The Orange-Sriracha Wings are always a hit. You could even pre-grill them to about 70% and then cool and refrigerate. That way, you just have to crisp them up on game day and dunk 'em in the sauce.

Good burgers or maybe some sliders in beef, sausage, and turkey with a good variety of cheeses & grilled onions etc. (Can eat 'em before they get cold.)

Hot turkey cut-up in gravy for hot sammy's is always good.

Easy Cranberry Salsa:
(Thanksgiving-ish with a "kick")
-Can of Ocean Spray whole-berry cranb. sauce
-Small can of diced Jalapenos or Chipotles
-A little finely diced onion
-Chopped Cilantro
(Warm-up some tortilla chips in foil with a dusting of chili powder to serve with this.)

On the beverages side:
-Bloody Mary Bar with good fixin's
-Hot cocoa with Peppermint, Kahlua, or Bailey's
-Some regular coffee for post-game, heat it up while waiting for the traffic to thin-out and get a little hot pick-me-up for the ride home.

Hope this helps

P.S. <span class="ev_code_GREEN">GO PACK!</span>

Hey Dean -

How did it turn out?
I mean the T-gating, not the game. Us Packer fans know about the game part
icon_razz.gif

[Sorry, couldn't resist...]

What did you end up making?

Hope it was a fun time in Motown

Back