Mexican style rice.

Bob Sample

TVWBB Diamond Member
Anyone have a nice recipe for the mexican style rice I keep seeing in pictures like this?
DSCN0480.jpg

Thanks to JimK for the pic.

I don't have a specific recipe to recommend, but saw an episode of "Mexico One Plate at a Time" that had some really good ideas that I will try. Fry up some onion, garlic, whatever (he used pork lard, whatever). Add rice to the mix until browned. Boil in chicken broth (rather than water) and drain (the broth can be use elsewhere -- in Rick's case, in the mole).

I think that would make great Mexican rice.

Rich

That's a basic, solid approach.

In oil, lard, bacon drippings, or butter (or any combination of the fats), sauté your aromatics (except for the garlic) till softened, allowing the exuded moisture to evaporate off. (A good starting point for, say, 1.5 cups of rice, would be 2 tablespoons fat and 1/2 cup finely diced onion; if you wish, add 1/4 cup finely diced or minced red or green bell pepper, and/or minced ripe or unripe jalapeño or serrano for heat, if you'd like, maybe 1-3 teaspoons, depending on your taste. Add a little salt to the pot while sautéing.)

Take your 1.5 cups rice and stir it into the pot. Cook, stirring periodically, till the rice gets golden, about 5-7 minutes. Add 2-3 cloves finely minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, till the garlic is very fragrant, about 60 seconds. Immediately add the liquids.

Normally one adds twice the volume of water to the rice (i.e., for 1.5 cups rice one would add 3 cups water). In this case, because you will be adding a thick liquid, you'll up that somewhat. When the garlic is ready add 2.5 cups chicken stock and 1 cup tomato purée or sauce*.

Stir well then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook 15 minutes, remove from the heat (leave covered). Wait 5 minutes then fluff with fork; adjust seasoning; serve.

Note that this can easily be altered. You can add diced roasted peppers to the pot (add them with the liquids), or up the seasoning by adding, say, a little cumin, thyme, Mexican or Spanish oregano, a little orange zest, ground white pepper - or use a fish or seafood stock (if serving with fish or seafood), and so forth.

* Other than canned diced tomatoes in juice I don't care much for canned tomato products. If I need purée I purée canned diced into their juice and use that. I would either do that or, if you wish, use canned tomato sauce (canned tomato purée often tends toward bitter and flat). For this type of rice dish, I often used canned diced tomatoes and some of their juices, and don't bother puréeing at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
That's a basic, solid approach.

In oil, lard, bacon drippings, or butter (or any combination of the fats), sauté your aromatics (except for the garlic) till softened, allowing the exuded moisture to evaporate off. (A good starting point for, say, 1.5 cups of rice, would be 2 tablespoons fat and 1/2 cup finely diced onion; if you wish, add 1/4 cup finely diced or minced red or green bell pepper, and/or minced ripe or unripe jalapeño or serrano for heat, if you'd like, maybe 1-3 teaspoons, depending on your taste. Add a little salt to the pot while sautéing.)

Take your 1.5 cups rice and stir it into the pot. Cook, stirring periodically, till the rice gets golden, about 5-7 minutes. Add 2-3 cloves finely minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, till the garlic is very fragrant, about 60 seconds. Immediately add the liquids.

Normally one adds twice the volume of water to the rice (i.e., for 1.5 cups rice one would add 3 cups water). In this case, because you will be adding a thick liquid, you'll up that somewhat. When the garlic is ready add 2.5 cups chicken stock and 1 cup tomato purée or sauce*.

Stir well then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Cook 15 minutes, remove from the heat (leave covered). Wait 5 minutes then fluff with fork; adjust seasoning; serve.

Note that this can easily be altered. You can add diced roasted peppers to the pot (add them with the liquids), or up the seasoning by adding, say, a little cumin, thyme, Mexican or Spanish oregano, a little orange zest, ground white pepper - or use a fish or seafood stock (if serving with fish or seafood), and so forth.

* Other than canned diced tomatoes in juice I don't care much for canned tomato products. If I need purée I purée canned diced into their juice and use that. I would either do that or, if you wish, use canned tomato sauce (canned tomato purée often tends toward bitter and flat). For this type of rice dish, I often used canned diced tomatoes and some of their juices, and don't bother puréeing at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you, Kevin. This is pretty much what Rick Bayless did with a few more additions. Now to print your post
icon_cool.gif

Rich

It's wide open for additions, alterations, etc. You can change the resulting profile easily.

For the real authentic flavor of Mexican rice (arroz rojo) you would get at a nicer mexican restaurant you should make it with achiote paste and tomatoes, recipe here.

My mom was born and raised in Mexico, and learned to cook from her aunts and mother. This is how she taught me to make Mexican rice. It's nothing fancy, but since it is the flavor I grew up with, it's what I like.

I use an old iron pot (actually mom's old rice pot that she gave to me). Add 1 T vegetable oil, get it nice and hot. Add 1 cup white rice and stir until it is nicely browned. Add 1/2 an onion, cut into strips and a small diced tomato. Pour in two cups warm/hot water and add one chicken boullion cube. Stir it just enough to mix it. Once it starts to boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered. Don't touch it after that first stir until you check it for doneness.

You might be interest in this one I posted a while back with black beans:
2009-02-05a035.jpg

Oxacan Rice:

1/2C small diced carrot
1/2C diced onion
1 seeded small diced poblano or 4 oz canned chopped green chiles drained (I used a rehydrated ancho this time)
1 seeded fine diced jalapeno or serrano
2 cloves fine diced garlic
1T cooking oil
1C long grin white rice
2C broth
1C chopped green beans
15oz black beans, drained

In a large skillet or dutch oven fry first 5 ingrediants in oil till light brown
Add uncooked rice, lightly brown
Add broth, stir cover and simmer till rice is almost tender (may need to Add more water, check after 15 minutes, taste the rice and check the water level)
Add the green beans and cook about 5 minutes more
When the rice is tender remove from heat, optionall dump from the pan ... stir in black beans and give them a minute to heat through

Back