Unstable legs on Weber 22 1/2 kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addie_G

I have a 20 + year old Weber 22 1/2 kettle I recently ordered & received a replacement leg kit. The new leg kit looks great but the kettle is still very shakey and unstable.

What are some ways of stabilizing the connection of the 3 legs to the bottom of the kettle?

Does anyone have a good mod or solution to add support to the legs and keep the legs snug fitting in the bottom of the kettle.

trying to bring an old grill back to life.

Thanks in advance.

Smear some JB Weld all around the legs, re-insert, then sink a self tapping sheet metal screw through each socket and leg. Never done it, just a SWAG.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cole:
Smear some JB Weld all around the legs, re-insert, then sink a self tapping sheet metal screw through each socket and leg. Never done it, just a SWAG. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea except the legs do not fit tightly in the sockets, they are a little loose.

I was considering the self tapping screw Idea I am just worried how well they will hold.

I need to construct some kind of sleeve around the legs that would make them fit more snugly in place.. Thanks for the suggestion, self tapping screw excellent idea!

i just take a round piece of metal and stick it inside the leg. then i take a hammer and hit the piece of metal as i turn the leg. it stretches out the leg a little and its tight.

Wow thanks everyone for the suggestions I think I will try the Alu tape if that doesn't work I might pound out the inside of the leg to make it bigger.

I put new legs on a 24 year old Red 22.5" and they were wobbly and would even fall out of the sockets, so I did use self tapping sheet metal screws and it did the trick-very stable now!

I insert about a 4 inch long piece of wood from a long paint roller handle or from a broom. It fits quite tightly inside the metal leg tube. Insert the leg into the grill and either drill the leg mount or use a self tapping screw. Either way the wood gives more for the screw to bite into.

That's a great idea I will stop in at Home Depot and get a dowell that fits snugly into the leg.

That is an excellent way of stabilizing the legs give more for the scre to bit einto as well as add some additional structural support.

I think I will also wrap the outsid eof the legs with Alu. tape to help it fit more snugly into the leg socket.

Everything else about Weber kettles are great why would they short change such great innovation with crappy structural support for a grill.

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back