long smoke bacon

Todd H

TVWBB Member
I've been messing around making bacon for the last two months or so, I really like a heavy smoke on what I make. I've been using pecan wood which to me has a mellow flavor even when alot is used. To keep my temp low for a long smoke I came up with an idea to use fire bricks to make a smaller ring/triangle inside the WSM charcoal ring, pictured below. I just start about 1/3 a chimney starter of lump, let it all get going, and then pour into the fire brick triangle. It's worked well for me, seems easier than messing with a mini-minion, and I can keep temps in the 140-150 range with ease (clay saucer in water pan) as long as I want. After about six hours I knock one or two of the bricks down so their laying against the charcoal ring, add more lump and open the vents to get temps up into the 225-250 range to finish the bacon to 150 internal. I've included some other pics of my most recent cook, two 5lb chunks of slab bacon, different dry rub cure on each, along with a brined pork loin (a first attempt at a Canadian bacon type). I really maxed out the available grill space on this one. I'm going to neeed to buy the 22" version soon at this rate

Fire brick triangle

Fire brick triangle with starting fire

The two slabs, Maple syrup cure on the left and a savory cure with pepper crust on the right

A very full WSM

Seven hours later the slab bacon is done and removed, brined pork loin getting finished

Fire bricks knocked down to make room for more lump

Sweet cure finished

Savory w/pepper crust finished

Sliced results

All looks great Todd! I've got some swine drying in the fridge right now thats slated to hit the grill on Saturday. I'm excited!

Have you cooked any yet?

Re: you pics... once you've uploaded, cut and paste "forum code" and they will be imbedded.

Fixed the photo issues, thanks Stefan, I think I tried everything possible under display image, but didn't try a plain cut and paste.

Actually these photo's are from a cook I did about three weeks ago and it's all gone except for a little of the loin. Everything was good. And I have another 10 lb slab going into a brine cure tonight. This is addicting and what doesn't taste better with bacon.

Todd, that's an awesome idea using the firebricks as a smaller chamber. Its a pain trying to maintain a small pile of coals, so your suggestion looks great. I have some leftover metal duct, so I might try to mold it into a small round chamber.

Originally posted by Brian Lee:
Todd, that's an awesome idea using the firebricks as a smaller chamber. Its a pain trying to maintain a small pile of coals, so your suggestion looks great. I have some leftover metal duct, so I might try to mold it into a small round chamber.

You can also try using coffee cans (getting harder to find them) as well..

The best mass produced bacon I was involved with had a 12 or 13 hour smoke. Only half the time with the smoke generator on. Corn cob pellets/grits for the smoke fuel.

Back