Bad Comp News

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I had applied to judge at this contest since it was to be held about half an hour from where I grew up and where my parents still live. Today, I received this email:

Dear BarBQ Lover:

"Thank you for your inquiry and application to judge the Lawrenceburg Kiwanis Club & Prichard’s Sweet Lucy Tennessee State Championship BBQ Cookoff on June 24-25, 2011.

Due to current economic conditions and, particularly the price of gasoline, we regretfully have had to cancel the Lawrenceburg Kiwanis Club 2011 Tennessee State Championship Cookoff. We appreciate you for your support, your loyalty and your dedication to making our Cookoff one of the best Contests in the KCBS World."

Very sad.

Pat

Wow, that's too bad. I really hate to hear about contests going under. A lot of people put a lot of work into putting on a comp and when it gets canceled then it all just goes down the drain.

Unfortuantely there will probably be others as the price of gas goes up. I'm already reconsidering a couple of comps due to the distances. In fact, I'm thinking of giving up Alabama altogether for the Triple Crown Championship and concentrate on Florida.

Russ

Oh man that is sad!

To be judging a comp would be FUN! And one day i will try my skills in a comp. It wont be cheap, flying over to the US. But i still wanna compete.

Sad, hope its not omen of things to come. Pat are you doing contest around town? I would love to watch and pick your brain!

Larry

Larry - I may do a couple of local contests - the backyard stuff. I have a conflict at the Bessemer KCBS contest and I've applied to judge at Hanceville. Send me an email at smitty881 (at) bellsouth.net and I'll let you know if I end up cooking anywhere.

We're in West Homewood near Bluff Park....

Pat

It's very sad, but unless things turn around soon, I think we'll see more and more of these being cancelled, especially if gas continues to spiral.

Back