How to do vegetarian ABTs on the grill?

Chad_M

TVWBB Member
I am doing my first ABTs tomorrow and my wife doesn't eat pork. I stuffed some peppers for her w/o bacon, but I am not sure how to cook them on the grill w/o making a huge mess of melted cheese.

Any suggestions?

chad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Use less cheese and add a binder.

Or wrap in thin slices of turkey bacon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would not call turkey bacon vegetarian
icon_smile.gif

Anyway I just did them on the grill as is - no flipping of course - and they turned out great. No problems with the cheese leaking out.

mitt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chad_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Use less cheese and add a binder.

Or wrap in thin slices of turkey bacon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would not call turkey bacon vegetarian
icon_smile.gif

mitt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe because the turkey only ate grains?

Anyways, Yves makes a veggie bacon that might work for you next time (and make it look more like what everyone else is eating).

BaconStrips2-283x269.png

My daughter is veg and I when I make "normal" stuff, I try to make her food as similar to ours as possible.

Nothing in the OP mentions anything about 'vegetarian'. "Doesn't eat pork" ? vegetarian. Many people do not eat pork but eat other meats.

Good it worked out for you.

Nothing in the OP mentions anything about 'vegetarian'. "Doesn't eat pork" ? vegetarian. Many people do not eat pork but eat other meats.

Good it worked out for you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Other than the title "How to do vegetarian ABTs on the grill?"

icon_smile.gif

chad

If I had a nickle for every time I heard, "she's a vegetarian but she eats fish" or "he's vegetarian but but eats chicken"...

If I had a nickle for every time I heard, "she's a vegetarian but she eats fish" or "he's vegetarian but but eats chicken"... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guilty as charged - here is a nickle. She was strict no meat for 15 years, but then started eating a little chicken after we had 2 kids - it was just easier making 1 dish instead of 2 sometimes. I still can't get here to try anything else. It isn't an ethics thing for her, it is a taste thing. She loves cheese and eggs too.

chad

it's funny how many people think its ok for a veg to eat fish.

They equate beef and pork as the only meat they won't eat.

There are different kinds of veg--no meat but dairy (milk, eggs, cheese) is ok, etc.

An easy way to differentiate in a broad sense is "nothing that has a face".

And no, Mr Potato Head doesn't count.

orlando.jpg

Chad,

I just noticed this post. I know I'm late but thought I would pass this on for future reference.
A couple of months ago I fixed ABTs stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese, grated cheddar cheese, some parmesan cheese, and garlic. Split the jalapenos in half stuffed and wrapped most of them in bacon. I wanted a vegetarian version for my niece so I decided to wrap them in squash. I used a potato peeler and pealed a yellow squash, and then used the potato peeler to cut long thin slices of the squash. I wrapped the ABTs with the squash, had to use a toothpick to hold it together, it worked, and my niece loved them. Next time I’ll brush a little olive oil on them to hold the rub and keep them from drying out too much on the grill.

HerbS

Back