Using a vacuum seaer to prep KCBS meats

Eric Simon

TVWBB Fan
Greetings!

Although I've never done it, I can see the advantages of prepping your KCBS meats (trimming brisket and pork butt, in particular) at home before leaving for the competition. I've been told by a KCBS rep that it's okay to do this and wrap it in plastic wrap beforehand. But I'd prefer to vacuum seal the meats after prepping.

I found a few old threads on this board about vacuum sealers, but they are well out of date, and don't mention if they are big enough to handle the KCBS meats (pork butt, full racks of ribs, and a full packer brisket).

Do you use a vacuum sealer for the KCBS meats? Can you recommend a model/brand?
Thanks!

Eric - this one is pretty recent:

vac sealer

The 15" model mentioned, although higher $$ would definitely hit the mark for larger cuts as you mention. Very reliable, semi commercial, repairable if something goes wrong.

Here's a recent one on bags as well:

sealer bags

I do use a foodsaver vac. My old one past away so my wife bought me a Foodsaver V2450 for Christmas. I just find it so much easier to cut the chicken up at home. Most of the time I prep ribs at home but pork and Brisket we prep at the comp because those are really easy to do. If time is short, ribs are prepped on site too because I find them to be easy also. Chicken for me takes longer then the other 3 meats combined..

Back