What do I do? Season the Grill? Other tips for First timer?

NicholasC

Hi,

I am new to cooking & have little knowledge about BBQ's. I recently purchased a Q300 and am trying to learn what I need to do to maintain it? I have heard that I need to season the grill, however I have no idea what is required to season it? I have read on this forum about using a heat sheet. Do you use it for all cooking or only for items that are more likely to stick? I would appreciate any assistance you could give!

A bit of background to help people understand how much I do not know - I am barred from cooking in the family kitchen due to my poor record. Having said that the Q300 has allowed me to be able to cook - only the very basic so far - Steak, sausages, bacon, eggs & BBQ chicken complete with vegies.

Thank you,

Nicholas

first is to keep the grates oiled. do not clean them after a cook but rather just before a cook when they are good and hot. otherwise my advice is to practice. you can't learn unless you make mistakes. and read everything here that you can. enjoy !

Befor I fired up my Q I sprayed the grates heavy with Pam vegetable oil . and let it burn a half hr or so and let it cool down. And respray it befor and after every cook . after a few grease cooks the grates a season right up .

I burn mine off after a cook for 10 or 15 minutes or so clean it with a brass bbq brush and then after it cools I spray it with oil Pam keeps the grates perfect NO RUST ! Then when I go to cook again I spray a little more on it fire it up with the lid closed for about 10 minutes and your ready to cook . just keep repeating the above steps clean spray burn off and it a season up great after just a few cooks .Instead of Pam use can just put some oil on a papper towel and wipe the grates does just as good a job IMO .

You do need to use a cheap rubber spatula to clean under the bowl under the grate just scrape it with the spatula into the drip pan every now and then to keep it clean and avoid grease fires . Specialy if you been doing some serious funky foods with marinades .

And remeber the Q is meant to cook and heat up with the lid CLOSED .

And you need to read up here about cooking indirect by rasing the food off the grill with a wire rack and foil plenty a info here on that as the Q IS KINA A DIFFRENT BIRD IN THAT AREA.

As to the grill pad I know some use one on things like fish but I never have . But things like fish it might be a good idea .

I also agree read everything here in the Q forum you can . There is a ton good advice here that a save you from making the common mistakes and not so common ones .I have read the entire Q forum just for the heck of it and did learn a LOT . The guys and gals here really know there stuf .

Back