Stoker extension

Nathan F

Like many people I was looking for solutions to keep the expensive equipment in my house and minimize the external components at the smoker but it seems like there are mixed results along with different methods. I finally settled on a way to do it that was most flexible for me and minimizing cost.

My basic idea was to use standard outdoor extension cable that we all likely have without destroying it and also gaining the usually lower gauge to minimize voltage drop. To do this I soldered a 1/4th gold stereo plug to a standard short 3 prong power cable (male and female respectively) and then use outdoor extension for the majority of the run. Note that I strategically made the male end of the stereo jack the female power receptacle so if someone accidentally plugs in the extension cord to power it won't be running into the Stoker but instead the probes. Some inline fuses may be better suited to deal with this problem. I randomly picked a pinout between the stereo and power connectors and just made them match at both ends but this may be sub-optimal with shielding and all but it is such a short run so I didn't bother looking into it.

I now attach these two ends to any length extension cord that I want and I'm good to go. I used a 12 gauge 50' extension cord for a run last night and it worked quite well (voltage drop was minimal). I branched off to 3 probes and 1 blower at the remote end.

I hope this is useful for someone else.

PS: This is my first post but I'm a long term lurker. Hi from Massachusetts.

33yomlf.jpg

Parts used:
42-2556
61-2803
278-1658

Back