Question about wood pallets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

OK, I have a question. I was told by a reliable source that wood shipping pallets are made out of hickory or white oak wood. Living in Tucson, Arizona, I could not identify these woods in a pallet. Is this true? He claimed that was all he used for his smoke source.

I was down at a large Industrial Park this morning and saw many very light colored pallets for the taking.

Take care.

It is my understanding pallets are hickory and oak. The one thing to consider is what was carried on those pallets. Chemicals, pesticides, all kinds of yuky stuff. It they clean, you usually can't beat the price. We joke about a BBQ restaurant over in Jax that offers pallet smoked bbq. He actually uses the pallets that the wood is shipped to him on. They make good BBQ when it is fresh.

I hope this helps...

Zip

[This message has been edited by Ashley Z (edited 07-14-2000).]

Bruce,

Pallet wood can be made from a variety of woods but is usually an oak or some wood of similar tensile strength. The wood comes from rapid growth forests or culls of larger trees. I have used pallet material to build some deck furniture. As Ashley said, I would be concerned about the cargo.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back