Bacon w/pics

well, I made three hunks of belly into bacon. I cured for a full 7 days and dried for one. Only cure, sugar and salt. No flavours at all. They smoked for about 2.5 ho9urs till they reached 150. Mostly at 237 which is as low as I could get my WSM. The pork was bought at my local Chinese grocery.

BBQ11-08-10.jpg

here's me in my brand new TVWBB apron:

BBQ11-08-40.jpg

The bacon smoked straight, and I did nothing but close everything I could.

BBQ11-08-50.jpg

It ended up looking great.

BBQ11-08-70.jpg

and cooked up just fine.

BBQ11-08-80.jpg

Thanks to the board for all the help.

Definitely shorts under there. Jim. Wouldn't want the neighbours to panic! And, Bill. thanks for the tip - I'll look for it.

FWIW, the temp, with everything closed tight and the door ducted, the lowest I could keep it at was 237. Perfect for ribs, but a bit high for bacon. Of course, when I do ribs, it will be a different story!

The bacon looks good, Mike.
+1 w/the Chinese grocers, they seem to consistently have the best prices for pork belly. From what I understand they often use it as a main course meat, cubed and stir-fried.

Fine looking bacon Mike!

Reminds me, I have a jowl, and some belly in the freezer, I need to get busy.

You can make chicharrones Mike. They cook pretty fast so you have to watch them. Great with beer on a hot day! There's quite a few vids on youtube that show you how. It's pretty easy.

Looks great... Was a bit concerned about the lack of pants as well!

As for the rind, if you take if off BEFORE you smoke (which I would recommend) really all you can do is make pork rinds. Not everyone's cup of tea but great salty snack with a couple dozen cold ones.

I'm likely doing some bacon again soon but given the high temp outside I know it will be a struggle to keep temps down. I may fill the water bowl and freeze it. In the winter I had some fantastic results with -10 C or lower outside temps. Got a good 5 hrs of smoke on one batch.

Back