ABT's Cheese or Cream Cheese

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm going to give ABT's a try this afternoon and everything I'm seeing says to use cream cheese vs. say Monterey Jack which is what I have on hand. Any thoughts? Do people use cream cheese as it takes the heat off the chilies?

I'm going meatless (inside) with a little Wild Willies rub and bacon on the outside. Any other suggestions/thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Ran to the store and bought cream cheese too. I'm going to try 1/2 of each and see what I think.

Any suggestions on how long to leave them on the WSM and at what temp? I'll be doing them after I pull my brisket off so she will already be at 225.

Moving to Recipe Requests & Ingredient Questions forum, as this thread does not begin with an actual recipe.

Regards,
Chris

Cream cheese does mellow the peppers' heat (though so many jals are pretty mild these days); it's also there for mouthfeel and to act as sort of a glue. I like combining cream cheese with something with more flavor--goat cheese, e.g., or dry jack, Mahon, fresh asiago, etc.

Thanks Kevin, so a mixture of cream cheese with say some gorgonzola (all I have on hand) wouldn't be bad then?

How full do I fill these things? Level on each half, then put back together and wrap with the bacon? Something else that threw me, do you use the rub in the cheese mixture or dust them after you've wrapped them?

No, wouldn't be bad. It's a might distinctive (you might want to go with more cream than gorg) but what the hey.

I often split one side rather than halve them but, yes, if you split them then fill, level, close, wrap.

The rub can go in, on, or both. I usually mix in.

OK,these these things should come with some kind of a warning. 1) Clear the kitchen out before you start cleaning these babies or you'll have everyone coughing from chili fumes 2) Do not breath while cleaning them or you'll cough you lungs out 3) Make sure to keep the halves together after cutting slicing or you're going to be playing the stupidest game of "match" ever all-the-while coughing your lungs out from breathing in the fumes from the chilies. DAMN!!

I've gotten in the habit of using my 3M respirator when I clean more than a few. I don't cut them in half, I stem then scoop out the seeds. I have a corer/parer that deviens the peppers with just a couple of turns.

I forgot to mention that I mix cooked breakfast sausage with the cream cheese and spike it with Crystal hot sauce, then pipe rhe mixture into the peppers.

Larry,

With your stuffed peppers, I cook them all the time...but on a grill. I haven't tried them on the WSM yet, but plan on it. My cousin in San Antonio cleans them like you do. I have found a much easier way to clean/cook. I bought a pepper roaster and corer from Cabelas. Then you can fill them with the cream cheese using a cake decorating gun, or a ziploc bag with a hold cut in the corner. Works pretty slick! My setup would only work....if I wasn't cooking meat...because the roaster holds 48 peppers. That's why I do them on the grill.

Steve

Back