Smokey Joe or Go Anywhere Charcoal?

Chris A

TVWBB Member
Maybe this has been asked before. If so, a link would be great.

I am looking for something mainly to take with (camping or beach). So not having ashes fall out (like on the silver SJ) is a plus.

I understand the differences between the silver, gold, & platinum SJs. But I also noticed the Go Anywhere Charcoal recently (I always assumed they were propane-only).

Since I have only had kettle style Webers, I am just worried that I might be unhappy with the rectangular design.

Any brief thoughts on pros and cons between the SJ and the GA?

Thanks

I have both the SJ Silver and Gold. I like the bottom vent of the Silver, but the Gold has an advantage in portability for the reason you state as well as the "handle". I would opt for the SJ because I think they maintain the convection advantages first introduced by the Weber kettle and having proved over many years to be a very functional design.

Paul

I love my go anywhere. The vents work well (though can get a little hot) and it folds up neatly into an easily carryable and stowable package that doesn't leak ash or charcoal (as long as it has cooled down and the vents are closed).
The rectangular shape is great for a graded fire - put the coals at one end and open the top vent at the other end.
My ideal partner - a small rectangular chimney starter to fit inside it that I could fill with charcoal and top off with crumpled newspaper to keep the charcoal in. Then on arrival take the newspaper out of the top, put underneath and light. Weber product development anyone?
Just my 2p's worth!

Thanks for the replies.

Since it seems like people everyhwere love both the traditional round design, as well as the rectangular, I just need to make a decision.

It seems like the GA will be better suited in the "size" area, meaning it is more efficient and easier to pack when camping and such.

Heck, I may just have to buy one of each!

Thanks Again

SJP - that's the big one (18") that has been discontinued isn't it ? If I could locate one of those for $40 at an Ace around here, it'll have a new home, with lots of Weber relatives to visit with.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Originally posted by Paul G.:
SJP - that's the big one (18") that has been discontinued isn't it ? If I could locate one of those for $40 at an Ace around here, it'll have a new home, with lots of Weber relatives to visit with.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

I just randomly called an Ace in San Diego, and they had 9 at $39.99, so it is worth calling around.

The Item number is 8099798.

Chris
You just cant have too many Weber's
I have SJP and SJG. While packing for a camping trip It dawned on me that a GA charcoal would pack well. So now I have one of those too. I think I will now use it more then the other portables. Hey there all good!!!

My wife says, I am worst then a women is with shoes.

Originally posted by Bob Pross:
Chris
You just cant have too many Weber's
I have SJP and SJG. While packing for a camping trip It dawned on me that a GA charcoal would pack well. So now I have one of those too. I think I will now use it more then the other portables. Hey there all good!!!

My wife says, I am worst then a women is with shoes.

That is not the kind of encouragement I need according to my wife.

However, I am being forced to stop using my WSM because of the neighbors complaints of all-day smoke penetrating their townhomes. So, that leaves some money and room for some other Weber products!!!

Ranch Kettle? Maybe not yet, but a GA is a good candidate for my next Weber purchase.

The SJ was my first Weber and it is almost 2 decades old and still is the best for tailgating, camping and on the road trips!
icon_cool.gif

Back