My first on the kettle

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
I did my first grill tonight on the kettle. I was cooking some top sirloins I got from Omaha Steak yesterday. I didn't want to overcook them, so I only lit about 35 coals. The steaks came out pretty good, but they took about 30 minutes to grill to a medium doneness. I now know that 35 coals is not nearly enough to grill steaks on a 22.5" OTS. I was close to firing up my gasser to finish off the steaks since everything else was done, but then decided against it. I will have to fire more coals the next time. Live and learn.

Chuck, well done with the first one. When dialing in the heat I learned you can always throw it back on, but you can't uncook it. Enjoy

Thanks, Kevin! I didn't want to crash and burn on the first grill. My wife still does not understand why I wanted a kettle if I have a gasser. She will never get it. I didn't want her to say, "I told you so" my first time using it. You are right though, you can always throw it back on, but you can't uncook it. Pork chops are on the menu for later in the week. I will keep you posted how those turn out.

Chuck -

I always work with a full chimney of coals since it is easier to dial down the temperature on a full chimney than to ramp up the temperature if you don't have enough.

On just about everything now, I do a two level fire - that is, I cover one half of the charcoal grate with coals and leave the other half of the grate with no coals. That gives me two zones for doing direct and indirect cooking. On steaks and thick chops, I will either start out by searing the steaks on both sides over the coals and then finishing them off on the "cool" side of the grill, or do the reverse sear by starting the meat on the cool side and then searing them at the end.

Either way, I think that one full Weber chimney on the 22" kettle is the baseline on grilling. If you're trying to back off and do lower and slower, then yes, smaller amounts of coal work best, but don't be afraid to throw on the heat when you're grilling. You'll quickly learn how to use the bottom vents to dial down the temperature if the fire is too hot.

Good grillin to you!

Pat

Chuck congrats on the new kettle ...I think it's probably the best grillin invention ever, besides fire itself
icon_eek.gif
...Pats comments are right on the money..... Oh yeah,...a chunk o'smoke wood is really effective in covered grillin
icon_wink.gif

Chuck,

I'll second what Ron and Pat said. I always use a full chimney, unless I'm going for lower/slower. And I bank them on one side of the grill, giving me two zones. A small chunk of smoke wood (or some soaked chips) does wonders for flavor.

Next time you cook two steaks, do one on the gasser, and one on the kettle w/ a little light smoke. Then have your wife do a taste test. She'll be converted from that point on.
icon_smile.gif

Learning to work with different cooking zones will give you total control of your grilling. Jim's taste test idea is right on the money.

Hi Chuck - This is just a seconding of the suggestions given above about creating two zones of cooking area. For your grilling experiences you will find that you are going to have a lot of fun learning just when and where on your grill to do indirect or direct. Soon you'll be joining all the other addicts on this forum taking pictures of and displaying all of your family of smokers and grillers while they are in action. lol. Bob B

Thank you Another Bob B. I am reading quite a bit on this forum. Everyone on here is so friendly and quick to offer advice. That is really awesome!

I always use a full chimney and tend to dump off to one side so I can have the two zones like others have said. I always close all vents all the way after I'm done cooking to put the coals out. Next time I cook I put some fresh coals in the bottom of the chimney and top off with the not fully Burnt charcoal from the last cook.

Thanks Dennis! A coworker of mine told me about that. He said the same thing about closing the vents on the grill when he is done grilling. I did that the other day and was surprised how many biquettes I was able to use again. Nothing like conserving briquettes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
Chuck,

I'll second what Ron and Pat said. I always use a full chimney, unless I'm going for lower/slower. And I bank them on one side of the grill, giving me two zones. A small chunk of smoke wood (or some soaked chips) does wonders for flavor.

Next time you cook two steaks, do one on the gasser, and one on the kettle w/ a little light smoke. Then have your wife do a taste test. She'll be converted from that point on.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GREAT IDEA!

Next time she wants new shoes or a new dress you can mention the kettle and the cost of the kettle vs the cost of the shoes, dress or Yada Yada Yada.
A spouse that rags (AKA Nagging) you for getting something that you like is a hard thing to live with. I know from experience.
I love motorcycles and will never be with out one. My ex-wife hates motorcycles. Notice the “EX” part of ex-wife?
The bottom line here is that you enjoy your cooking experience and obtain a successful cook out. Hopefully your wife will come around. Perhaps you can win her over by cooking a few dishes (that she really loves) on the kettle.

My wife still does not understand why I wanted a kettle if I have a gasser. She will never get it. I didn't want her to say, "I told you so" my first time using it.

I don't want to beat this post to death but ... use lots of fuel, get your heat up and shut down when you are done. Most of my grilling is done with left over coals from the smoker or from the kettle. I have no problem reaching 500 degrees with used lump if I want to go that high.

Back