Smoked Cheese????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received an e-mail from a customer the other day. They were asking for advice about smoking cheese. I told them that this was likely done with a cold smoking method (for the obvious reason - melting), but that I'd check to see if anyone had tried it on the Bullet. Any thoughts out there?

weber dave

Hi, I am not a cheese smoker but in one of my books there are instuctions for cold smoking in a WSM. What they use is a cast iron dutch oven on the charcoal rack with six cups of hardwood sawdust. Then you heat one half cup of sawdust in a skillet over a portable burner until it starts to smolder. When all the saw dust in the skillet has blackened dump the sawdust on top of the sawdust in the WSM. Put the center section
of the WSM back on and add the water pan w/o water. The temp should run between 90 and 130 degrees. Every 2 to 3 hrs stir the sawdust and add more if needed.
smile.gif

KC

Hi,

I will doing a website feature on smoked cheese probably in December or January.

The basic process is to smoke the cheese between 1-2 hours below 90*F. The typical process is to put maybe 3 lit briquettes on the charcoal grate and place a soaked chunk of cherry, apple, etc. on the coals. Another approach is to put a small split piece of wood on the grate and place a hot coal or two on top of the wood.

In any event, keeping the temp below 90*F means doing this on a cold day or a cool evening. Some put water and/or ice cubes in the water pan to keep the temp down.

Cheddar or gouda are common choices, but I hear that Monterey Jack and Swiss are pretty good, too.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Guys.

I was hoping that with a cheese question I wouldn't be laughed off the web-site, and (as was Felix Unger) asked never to return.

In a few hours I'm picking up a new WSM for some 'testing'. I'll have Texas long beef ribs, and 'Chicken on the throne' going at the same time (for different durations of course) starting this morning.

Did I dream this up or read it on this sight? The idea is to have a turkey on the lower grate, and baby backs directly above - basting the bird with pork fat. I swear I can't remember, but I'm going to try it.

Again, thanks for the help.

weber dave

I think I remember someone posting that they place pork butt above beef brisket so the pork drippings keep the brisket moist.

Man, must be nice to have a job where you can take a WSM home for a "test drive". In my job, the only thing I get to take home from work...is more work!
wink.gif

Regards,
Chris

Chris:

I found out the WSM was among the first of the year 2001's, so I actually just bought it outright. We do get to 'play' with all the grills here, and being that I'm on the third-shift - we have 2:30AM barbecues pretty regularly. Nothing much stranger to a passerbyer than to see us grilling at that hour. We've considered flying kites at the same time just to complete the effect.

The WSM I got Friday went together well, but I did have 3 sets of stubborn nuts and bolts that had to be 'force threaded'. I just put the nut in a vise and cranked down hard on the bolt with a large screw-driver. All in all though, the ribs and chicken were perfect, and the 'Minion method' worked without a hitch.

weber dave

I was having problems with smoking cheese until Jim Minion pointed me in the right direction of the three charcoal method. I wrapped the cheese in wet cheesecloth, tried to keep the temp at 90F. When I saw the temp start to creep up, just remove cheese from smoker and put in the ice box, until temp, starts to come down. Start the process again. About 2 1/2 hour total smoke time. Apple as my wood flavor. Great results. Thanks Jim, for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back