First smoke (Excel20...sorry) RIBS!

Danny

Well, it was an interesting day. Started out at about 12:45pm and had her humming at 220 for almost 2 hours when I started losing heat. Had to keep all the vents wide open at that point and kept it between 200 and 215. I got the job done, 3-2-1 method, but ended up going through a whole bag of Kingsford Comp charcoal and started in on a second bag, with reloads. Also used a combo of apple wood and pecan for smoke.

Regardless, it's the end that counts and I got her there!!

IMG_1092.jpg

I'm hoping this was just the normal "break-in" for a new smoker. I want to do a pork butt, but don't want to have to worry about re-loads every 2 to 3 hours. I'm thinking about switching to sand and trying that out instead. I used hot water today.

Anyways, it seems everyone has some problems to start, and I'm no exception.
icon_biggrin.gif
I do love the taste of the Q and will keep at it!!

Looks very good! Once I got away from water there wasn't any regrets!

I use a foiled 12.25 clay saucer in a foiled pan with RO Lump (USA). I can keep steady temps from 200-350 with no problems!

The water method turned out some great q, but it was hard to get over 240 and I used alot more fuel!

A lot of us just double foil the water pan, no water and no clay saucer. One layer of foil for the inside of the pan. Another layer on top, creating a gap between the two layers. Just another idea.

For those not using water in the water bowl, do you have a container of water on one of the cooking grates. I have seen this done in offset smokers for moisture production and not heat control as in the WSM?

I read somewhere that someone used a foil pan filled with water on top of his sand filled basin. From there it seems to go back and forth between people who feel it helps, and those who claim there is absolutely no difference... other than perhaps an extra mopping or two.

I bought my clay saucer today for just under $10. I'm sold. I'll foil it, the basin, and then a double covering around the 2 of them. Will report back!

Back