Stoker Probe Wire Length

Robert_K

I know you can order custom probe wires. I am curious if 10 feet or so would be too long. I would like to have the Stoker itself just inside my garage, out of the weather.
icon_smile.gif
Any reason why you can't have 10 foot plus lengths of wire for the probes?

I am going to try to fire up the Stoker for it's maiden cook this evening. (2.27.09)

icon_biggrin.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Just go to Radio Shack and get some 1/4" stereo headphone cables and splitters. Just don't put the fan on the same cable as your temp probes.

Here are the Radio Shack part numbers and cables/splitters.

Part No. 274-894 is the Gold-Plated 1/4" Stereo Headphone Plug Adapter which is one male to two female connections. Part No. 42-2556 is a 20-Ft. Stereo Headphone Cable, 1/4" Jack to 1/4" Plug (you can plug several of these together to get any length). Part No. 42-2568 is the 3-Ft. Gold-Plated 1/4" Stereo Headphone Y-Adapter which takes one wire to two wires.

I use one of the 20' cables for just running my fan. Then I use another 20' cable that I add a Y-adapter that I connect to 2 of the 3' Y-adapters too. This gives me 4 plugs (1 for the pit probe and 3 for the meat probes).

This way, I can keep the Stoker box in a weather proof area.

How come every time I lift the lid (just to put the food in and adjust things) the stoker log drops the target to 50*F?

Ok, sorry. I should have RTFM first. Just found the answer to my last question. Smoke is going well. Temps a little too high, but going good.

Originally posted by Steve Story:
Just go to Radio Shack and get some 1/4" stereo headphone cables and splitters. Just don't put the fan on the same cable as your temp probes.

Here are the Radio Shack part numbers and cables/splitters.

Part No. 274-894 is the Gold-Plated 1/4" Stereo Headphone Plug Adapter which is one male to two female connections. Part No. 42-2556 is a 20-Ft. Stereo Headphone Cable, 1/4" Jack to 1/4" Plug (you can plug several of these together to get any length). Part No. 42-2568 is the 3-Ft. Gold-Plated 1/4" Stereo Headphone Y-Adapter which takes one wire to two wires.

I use one of the 20' cables for just running my fan. Then I use another 20' cable that I add a Y-adapter that I connect to 2 of the 3' Y-adapters too. This gives me 4 plugs (1 for the pit probe and 3 for the meat probes).

This way, I can keep the Stoker box in a weather proof area.

Thanks for the info Steve! I just went down to the local Radio Shack this morning and picked up two 20' extensions(the only two they had).

So can I get a Y adapter and plug the pit probe and a food probe into the Y, and the Y into the 20' ext., and the Stoker will still see these two separately? I know I need one dedicated to the fan.

Originally posted by Robert_K:

Thanks for the info Steve! I just went down to the local Radio Shack this morning and picked up two 20' extensions(the only two they had).

So can I get a Y adapter and plug the pit probe and a food probe into the Y, and the Y into the 20' ext., and the Stoker will still see these two separately? I know I need one dedicated to the fan.

Yep, all the "info" about each probe is in the plug itself. Using a splitter won't have any affect on the Stoker being able to read the plugs for all of the probes.

Need some guidance. Any idea why? When I try to plug my 10cfm fan into a 20ft stereo headphone cable the stoker sees no probes at all. Then when I plug the 10cfm fan into the stoker directly all the probes show up including the Meat probe and pit probe. I made sure these were 1/4in stereo headphone cables, I even trouble shot the cables and switched the one with the fan to the ones with the probes still nothing. Any chance this is no longer a viable option I just got my stoker last week? Any help would be great.

Originally posted by Eric G:
Need some guidance. Any idea why? When I try to plug my 10cfm fan into a 20ft stereo headphone cable the stoker sees no probes at all. Then when I plug the 10cfm fan into the stoker directly all the probes show up including the Meat probe and pit probe. I made sure these were 1/4in stereo headphone cables, I even trouble shot the cables and switched the one with the fan to the ones with the probes still nothing. Any chance this is no longer a viable option I just got my stoker last week? Any help would be great.

I have the same problem when I use the 10 CFM fan. I made an extension cable out of CAT 5 cable and it works well, except that the cable is thick and hard to manage. I have a relatively large cooker, 36 x 24 x 22 and find that the 4 CFM fan is more than adequate and have since shelved the 10 CFM. I'm considering selling the 10 CFM if anyone around PGH is interested.

The RS cables are made for low level signals so the wire guage is too small to carry the necessary current to run the fan (should work fine though for the food probes).

You can make your own custom ones using heaving guage wire but you need to be comfortable with soldering iron and such (if not, buy it from Rock).

Back