I think I over did it...too much smoke.

Pete (ZIMPETE)

For my first smoke I tried Baby Back Ribs.

Soaked in Pineapple Juice overnight.
8:00 am Put honey on both sides and coated with Famous Dave’s Rib Rub.

12:00 pm Started coals, ¾ full lit chimney with 30 unlit bricks around outside of fire ring. 4 Hickory wood chunks and a hand full of hickory wood chips sprinkled on unlit coals.

12:30 pm Ribs went on at 225 degrees, temp dropped to 200, I opened all vents full and temp went to 250 and stayed there all day.

2:30 pm Added 2 hand full’s of wood chips and flipped ribs over.

3:00 pm 170 degree internal temp.

3:30 pm coated ribs in BBQ sauce and foiled, back on smoker.

4:30 pm stoked coals and removed ribs from foil

5:00 pm ribs off smoker.

My wife prefers everything to be very well done; this is why I kept them on the smoker so long. The ribs were great with the exception of the heavy smoke flavor. Either I used too much wood or I don’t like the flavor of hickory.

Things learned:
No wood chips, they just burn up in minutes.
More coals would have been better.

If using chips you want to put them in a foil packet packed fairly well, with a single small hole (a bit smaller than the diameter of a standard pencil, tops) on one side. Foil packet goes on top of the lit, hole side up.

No need to use chips if you have chunks.

Don't know what size chunks you used but, for ribs, I use one fist-sized chunk cut into 4-6 smaller pieces, plus 2-3 more small pieces (off another chunk) of similar size. Tastes vary, and ymmv, but I am looking for the smoke to complement the rub and meat and, after cooking, the sauce. It is one flavor element of many and i am not looking for it to be especially prominent. Try much less next time and see what you think. You can add more (or cut it further) in subsequent cooks.

If you used 4 chunks and 3 handfuls of chips then i would definately say you had too much wood. Hickory especially is a very strong flavour.

Personally for ribs I tend to just use apple wood or maybe 1/2 of chunk of hickory and another 1.5 of apple.

With larger pieces of meat (butts, brisket) you might want more smoke as the ratio of meat to bark (exterior) is greater.

Yeah man,too much wood. Smoke is a flavor like the rubs and sauces,and can easily be overdone. A lot of people don't use hickory. I like it myself. Next time cut back on the smoke and you'll get better at it. Enjoy!

Only if fresh. Pineapple juice in cans or bottles is pasteurized. The heat of pasteurization inactivates the bromelain enzyme in the juice that is responsible for denaturing the proteins in meat.

Back